Friday, October 1, 2010

Josh's birthday

So it was finally here...Josh's big 3-0 on Sept. 3-0! 

I was totally excited. I actually woke up around 4 a.m. and told him happy birthday. He grunted in appreciation. 

We both popped-up around 5:45-ish and got ready for work. By this point in the week, I had entirely given up on the idea of early work outs. Just not happening for me. :( 

Well that's not completely true because Ash and I had planned a long run for Friday morning - which didn't pan out. Anywhoo. 

So yes...awoke, got ready. Exchanged hugs/kisses. Sent him off to work. I got ready and went to our necessities grocery store to grab necessities for the weekend and put in a cake order for Josh's b-day. At first, I put in an order for a chocolate cake with orange cream cheese and blue writing. But I called and changed that around noon. I figured the orange would be kind of alarming ... so I did the reverse. 

The rest of the day was standard. Worked. Worked out at lunch. Finished the Ga. Work Ready test. Wowza. It was insanely hard for "Joe Bob Six Pack."
Here's a sample question:

You are a road contractor and you have analyzed a soil that you want to use for road fill. Your analysis shows that the soil contains 15% sand, 65% silt, and 20% clay. You need to know what the shrink-swell potential is for the soil because it will affect the durability of the road. Based on the diagram and table shown, what is the shrink-swell potential at a 30-inch depth for this soil? 

1. Low
2. Low to moderate
3. Moderate
4. Moderate to high
Seriously? 

So yeah. I got "gold" ... the second highest level. The real reward - being done. That was ridiculous. 

After that, I worked on a column I'm writing then went to grab J's cake (it looked good, much better than the orange. The colors were a little off but oh well). 

I did a set-up for the gifts and ran to school. 
Our teacher (her eldery mother is not doing well) was out and we had a sub who was clueless...couldn't work the computers...couldn't start class on time, etc. 

I told the sub to make sure I was on the roll but I had to leave. Hehe. I'm awful. 

But it's his only 30th...I guess that every year is really as significant - we each only get one year once, ya know? But whatev. I went home and Josh opened his gifts. He seemed pleased!

He got three shirts (two Polos and a Vineyard Vines) from me and a blower. His parents sent him a check - whoop - and an Auburn shirt. Great haul! 

From there, we went to dinner at our favorite restaurant...Crabdaddy's. SO. DELISH. Oh. my. I had the rare tuna and Josh did the fried shrimp. He got a free bread pudding too (which left little room for cake - boo). 

Sidebar: After dinner, I asked him if he wanted to go somewhere for another drink...I even offered to buy him a shot of Yager. He replies, "I need a shot of Mylanta." So freaking funny! This is how you know you're getting old!

When we got home, we went through the motions with the cake even though he didn't eat any. 

YES! 30 candles!!! 

After that, we had another cocktail (or three)...listened to music and talked for entirely too long. We didn't get to sleep until after midnight. Eeek. This never happens. Even on the weekends. But, ya know, it WAS his 30th birthday. AND...it only happens once (thank God).

1 comment:

  1. Great haul! Happy Birthday Josh! Yes, bakers are unable to do Auburn navy unless it's fondant. So instead they make Florida cakes. I now just have them white with orange to avoid it - SO annoying. I hate that navy can't be done!!! Love vineyard vines on the boys - SO cute. Glad Josh had a great birfday!

    ReplyDelete