Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Back to work plus a new literary obsession

Monday is one sneaky bastard! It crept up on me, smacked me around. No fun. No, not at all. 

It started with me sleeping like I "hadn't slept in years" (ha - "Forrest Gump"). I woke up late...as in 7 a.m. late. Oh my. Talk about a mad dash. Thankfully I had taken a shower before bed so I just needed to do a little primping, popped the hair in a pony and speed into work. 

So it was a standard miserable day. Worked hard, cranked out some stories and caught up from being off Friday. At lunch, I trotted over to the gym for a half hearted 3 miles on the elliptical. BUT it did give me a chance to read. I'm so in love with this book. I plowed through 165 pages in a day. It's not just the fact that it's juicy/twisted/tawdry/spectacular. It's the WAY this guy writes. 

*Putting on my ol' lit major hat* He, Robert Goolrick, is one of the very few recent writers that has blown me away.
 
I can usually find fault with anyone. Even my two other favorite "contemporary" writers: Steig Larsson and even Khaled Hosseni. But not Goolrick. He's perfect. The way he writes is a lot like my favorite modernist writers: T.S. Eliot and Virginia Woolf . It's about everything that happens in a moment. It's real and it's raw. He caputures it all in such exquisite, blazing honesty: Lust, love, hatred, filth, decay ... humanity. Some times I just have to put the book down and exhale. Best of all, he doesn't try to be profound...he just is. I'd give anything to be able to manipulate the English language the way he does.

Damn. 

So yeah...anyway. Love that book. :) 

But I digress. I did some elliptical miles and went back to work. I had planned to return to the gym for another four miles of running. That didn't happen. Instead I went home and did some pre-cooking for a new diet I'm trying (more about that later). I also made dinner for J who didn't make it in until after 8 (working on a bid in Savannah). 

I re-edited my currciulum design to turn in Thursday and tried to work on some other things. But then it was back to the book. I. can't. stop. I did force myself to go to sleep just after 10 p.m. but I can't wait to get my hands on it again. I love being in love! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay - nothing better than a good book! Looking forward to learning about what you're cooking/trying/etc.!

    I can't read on an elliptical - wish I could!

    ReplyDelete