Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Starting from scratch

OK y'all - you've been there with me for 113 posts ... through all the struggles and triumphs - the races, the injuries. Now I'm pleased to announce that I'm turning over a new leaf when it comes to fitness. 

On Monday, I joined Southern Ironworks (or the gym I went to last week to work out with Shari). It's about $10 cheaper than the other gym and they offer personal training, an eating program and tons of experience. I met with Jim, who is a powerlifter and he's huge, but he also is one of the nicest people I've met in a long time. So we talked and decided that I'd have him come up with a workout plan for me as well as an eating plan. I've made a new tab/page with my workouts and meals.

He also agreed to work with me until I get it all down. Basically, we're going for leanness and increased muscle. Jim asked me to come back after work to start. So I did. He had everything ready including my diet - which looks less than fun but either you want it or you don't. It's going to be tough. 

And first, let me just say, this is not one of those "pretty" gyms. This is functional with good equipment that doesn't match, but honestly does it have to? Everyone there is serious about fitness. I mean, SER-I-OUS. And I like that. My half-assing it is not working for me anymore - clearly - so I'll try it their way.

(But back to Monday) I started off by running. I did three miles. Running without pain. 
Awesome. Then I started to work with Jim. He had me doing chest and rear delts. There were eight exercises total. Two of these were progressions. This means you increase your weight and drop the number of reps. I know a lot of women are afraid of "bulking up" by going heavy (and some do) but with the eating program I have it's really unlikely that I will. There's not enough protein. But anywhoo. 
Gratuitous piece of clip art here.... 
I forgot to take pics but didn't want to leave it "naked"

Can I just say ouch. I mean ouch. I did a progressive military press and ended up (with a spot) doing 50 lbs six times. Wowza.

Fastforward to the end of the session .... I could barely lift my arm to scratch my nose. I was SO done. I went home, showered and told Josh all about my adventure. I ate dinner (haven't started the eating plan because I haven't gone to the store). That was pretty much it for me. I slept like a rock.

Here are some other points of interest that took place on da Monday:
- The Jacket fiasco - I drove 20 mins out of my way to pick up Josh's sports coat from Jos A. Banks. It was supposed to be ready on the 24th (Monday) for his trip to Denver (Wednesday). It wasn't. 
MIND YOU, I called the day before (Sunday) to ask if it was ready (I mean all they had to do was SEW ON BUTTONS). The guy on the phone said "it says here it will be ready on Jan. 24" ... I was like, "I know that jack ass ... that's what my paper says too. I just thought I'd check because it's FRIGGIN buttons." 
It's been two weeks ... for eight buttons. 
SO when I drove over Monday to get it and was told it wasn't ready -- I.WAS.PISSED! I told them I would just take it but, come to find out, they had done the buttons on the sleeves but not the others (on the stomach). Really? I explained that I he had selected this date because he had an important engagement that he needed the jacket for ... then this other (much more creative) sales person suggested that they rip the buttons off another jacket in stock and sew them on. Beautiful. 10 mins later I left, jacket in hand.
 
- An Ashley sighting - I FINALLY was able to have some face-time with the elusive Dr. Ashley Callicutt. SO long since I've seen her and it was awesome. As always. Just love her. We're planning to do a run together this weekend and dinner too. Fun!

- Love from a King Charles - Oh my. I just have to show you Miss Chloe. I interviewed two attorneys (they're a married couple). In their office, Chloe serves as receptionist/security guard. Isn't she a doll?

She totally reminds me of Elizabeth Taylor on Sex and the City!

Chloe was the sweetest. I love assignments with pets included!

Okie doke. I'm also going to start asking questions at the end of the blog to generate feedback. So please do ...  :) 

* Q: What's your favorite strength training move? I love push ups (because I can do them) and rows (because it makes me feel stronger than I probably am).

* Q: How many exercises do you typically do when you work with weights? I did do four per body part ... now it's eight and most work several muscle groups.

* Q: When dieting - what's the hardest thing to give up? For me, it's bread and wine. I'm going to have to give both up. Boo.

1 comment:

  1. I am a total freak about weights. I get myself nice and intimidated and then just do machines. I need Ryan to get back and push my ass. I try to do 6-8 things at a time though and split it up like you.

    I have a hard time with sweets. I am so sugar dependent right now. Awful! I need to get my booty weened from the beast!

    ReplyDelete