Thursday, January 20, 2011

Putting the 'fun' in functional ... ouch.

Hello there bloggie land. Hope all is well. Everything is going well for me. I've had a great couple of days. 

I'll cover hump day today. On Wednesday ... I went to work and to the gym during lunch. I did three miles on the elliptical and stretched well. Then it was back to work for a few hours. Afterwards, I finally was able to meet up with Shari (you know, the awesome body builder friend of mine). She is now working out at this different gym called Ironworks. It's run by this guy I've interviewed (super nice) he's a body builder and power lifter who's won all types of awards. They are also into a bunch of functional training. And that's what Shari had me doing ... we were working legs. It was intense. 

The first thing we did was the sled. So you have a belt that's attached to a chain that's hooked up to this:

Not this exact one - clearly we don't have snow - but you get the idea

On the flatbed, you stack some additional weight (I was doing 35 lbs). Then you pull/drag the sled across the concrete parking lot, which is long. When you get to the end, you turn around and drag it back - backwards. Then you do it again. I mean it is massive leg work out AND it's great for elevating your heart rate. I was nearly breathless when I'd finished and I consider myself to be in pretty good shape cardiovascularly. 

After that, we went inside and did these jump squats when you squat then jump ... on top of a three foot high box. Ten times. Then do it again. Wowza. The last exercise was a clean and press with a 30 lb bar bell - you did five of those then dropped to the floor where you balanced plank style on the bar bell, which is tricky because the weights make it wabble. 10 push ups here. Then 15 mountain climbers. By this time, my legs were jello. I rested and did it again. I'm fine with all of it until the mountain climbers - that was hard. Great workout though!

Then I grabbed some Firehouse - a meatball sub for Josh and a turkey salad for me - then home. I took a hot bath and hit the hay. Amazing day. 

I ALSO finally got Mama Wilks to send me a picture of Ava girl. Just look at this baby. Total angel. I'm so in love. 

2 comments:

  1. Good gravy, lady! I'm tired just reading your workout. I've been a workout slacker lately. The cold weather makes me want to curl up in a cuddly little ball and stay there until it is warm again. I'm SO ready to get outside and run. I loathe the treadmill and refuse to stay on it for a lengthy amount of time (God bless people who can go for miles and miles). Anywho, way to go! You're a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so sweet - I can't wait to meet her!!!

    ReplyDelete