Thursday, January 27, 2011

Functional day and a fun dinner with Chasity

Hola friends  ... hope all is well. It's Thursday now and I'm playing catch-up. 

But before I jump in, I hope you'll take a moment to notice my updated background and sidebars. I'm pleased with it, even though I'm still figuring out all the technicalities of the blog. (Of course, having a super star blogging best friend like Kel helps me tons.) 

Oh and also notice my new "daily puppy" image. Every day there is a new picture - how's that for a daily dose of cute? Enjoy.

*euphoric sigh* 

OK so first let me take you back to Tuesday. I woke up ... I moved ... I discovered that I was S-O-R-E. No surprises there. In fact, the one surprise was that I COULD still move my arms. That's the good news - the bad news was that I had to train again. 

I went to work and trained at lunch. Another day of torture. This was rear delts and back. Oh my. There were tons of rows, pull ups, pull downs, medicine ball abs then 20 mins. of cardio and I was out. It was a VERY effective workout. They all are, really.

After work, I navigated through the deluge outside (we got more rain in a day than we had all month total). Much needed!

I got home for some face time with Josh before he headed out to Denver (Wednesday) for work. We ate, chilled and he coated me in icy hot AGAIN in anticipation of the soreness to come. Then it was sleepy time and I slept like a rock. 

Wednesday - I got up, unhappy, because I knew I wouldn't be seeing Josh again until Sunday. Big boo. Honestly, he doesn't travel that much. I'm grateful for that. 

But, when he does, it throws everything into an upheaval. It does mean, however, that I get some much needed GIRL TIME. That's a definite plus. Before that could take place, however, it was functional day at the gym. I met up with Shari because Jim was out of town. That didn't mean less work though. 

It was pretty much all about core and legs. Here's what we did:
- Warm up with medicine ball - After I did some elliptical work to up my heart rate, we grabbed a medicine ball (I started out with seven pounds but quickly realized I was too sore to hold it) and had to drop down to four pounds. We did twists and cross stretches to the floor. It's hard to describe this one. Basically, just arm up and stretching with weight. 
- Jumping lunges - This is where you do a deep lunge on one leg, spring up, switch and fall into another lunge. That's one. You do three sets of 10 of those. 
- Mountain climbers - You can do these on the floor too, but we balanced on the barbell in a plank position. Then you bring your knees to your chest whilst keeping your butt flat. It was SO hard for me. After a few times, I figured out my positioning and it became easier. Still hard but better. We did three sets of 10 reps (aiming for 15).
- Jumping toe touches - This was not a cheerleading move though it kind of sounds like it. To keep my heart rate up, we just side-jumped over the barbell and touched one toe to the ground then did the same on the other side. It was just a small, fun way to keep the heart rate up. 
- Ab roll outs - Oh dear God this hurts so bad. It's like the old school ab roller (which is on infomercials but is actually a great little device). We used a barbell. You start on your knees ... with hands on the bar then you lean out/roll out as far as you can go, then you pull it back in. Ugh. Repeat this miserable move for three sets of 10 reps. 
- Plank series - We started on our hands in a push-up position and held for 30 seconds. Then dropped to elbows and held for 30 seconds. Here we LEANED forward, shifting our weight more to the front. It was a work out for the shoulders and the abs. Then we rotated to side plank and held those for 30 seconds on each side. Ouch. 

That was all and, trust me, it was enough. It was painful. After that lunch time ass kicking, I went back to work and when I was done I went to get another new nail color. This time I got a neutral/tan sort of color. 

That made me kind of run late and once the nails were done I had to zip to the house, love on the pups, get things organize, change and head over to St. Simons by 7 p.m. to meet Chasity (whom I call Chasity Belt, because it's funny). We had a couple of drinks  (rum and diet for me) at Palm Coast, which is a cute coffee house/restaurant/bar and a wonderful ahi tuna salad. I also passed on the pita wedges that came with it - how's that for will power? : ) 

Erika came in to have a drink and Louie (another co-worker) was bar tending. It was a blast and we laughed so hard (another functional ab workout!). 

I also made sure Lou got a picture of us for the blog. 
Erika, me and Chasity ... such sweethearts

I headed home around 10 p.m. and J called to say that he landed safely. I read a little and went to sleep. I can't believe that I slept so well, I usually don't, but my awesome security system (not to mention my highly ARMED buddy Dept. Torres right down the road) helps a lot. 

Here are your questions:
Q: Do you do functional training? If so, what's your favorite functional move? Although I'm by no means an "old hand" at this (I've done it all of TWICE) but I really loved dragging the sled last week. It was fun and challenging at the same time. Plus it really sent my heart rate sky rocketing. I was nearly breathless when I was done. 

Q: What's your favorite girl night activity? Since I'm totally not a "go out" (as in bars or clubs) person, I love doing dinner with a couple of Bacardi and diets. Or vodka sodas. Since I can't have wine anymore while dieting. 

Q: That brings me to my last question .... what's the best alcoholic/diet friendly drink you've found? I've heard that vodka is the best way to go. Any "clear liquor" is supposed to be OK. Well actually I've heard your not supposed to drink at all. This is a good article from Bodybuilding.com. ***Even though I'm not a "body builder" - it helps me understand why I really need to back off the hooch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment