*Sigh*
I'm still trying to catch-up after Thanksgiving. I'm behind on everything. I feel out of whack. Totally.
It doesn't help that Santa Claus has officially pounced and unleashed all his holly jolly nonsense on the reluctant public. (Me being the most reluctant). I haven't bought the first gift or put up the tree. I feel like I'm suffocating in a big ol' steaming pile of tinsel.
(Can I get a 'bah humbug' please?)
But it's "the holidays" and feeling overwhelmed is par for the course.
Let me attempt a very swift update. That will take me back to Saturday. That's the day the rents rolled out ... I took the advantage and I chilled. Completely. I caught up on DVR and laid around. I washed clothes, I washed dishes. And I read. It was fantastic. Later in the day, we watched football and were in bed before 9 p.m. - awesome.
Sunday - I woke up early and knew I had to get things done. That started with cleaning a bit and finishing up the laundry. Josh went to golf and I hit the gym. I did three miles on the elliptical while getting close to finishing "The Help." I did some work with
weights. Then I zipped to the store for groceries. Once Josh was done with golf, we decided to hit up the mall to look for some clothes for his up-coming business trip. Then we grabbed dinner at Cilantros whilst watched some NFL. Great night.
Monday - I popped up and went to work. *Unfortuantely, I didn't "pop up" early enough to get back into the morning work out swing. I've GOT to get back into that.*
I digress. I went to work and played catch-up. Then did three miles at the gym plus some more weights. I was planning to go back after work but I didn't. Instead and ran straight home to finish my book. I was in the home stretch and couldn't put it down. I was catching a peek every time I stopped at a stop sign. That's just how I am when I get close to the end.
I finished it Monday night. Wanna hear my take? Oh OK great!
Now, let me just say, I bought this book in May (I remember because it was around the same time that I broke/stress fractured my foot). I was thinking - "OK this is going to be mediocre at best" - That's what I usually think. I'm sorry. I'm a skeptic. In fact, I let Erika read it first...while I read "The Shack" - I didn't finish that one because I, well, it just wasn't for me. But Erika LOVED "The Help." I kept plugging along on my reading list and didn't really think about it until I had nothing else to read. So I started. I adored.
Synopsis: It's about three women - two are black maids and one is a white would-be writer. It's set in Jackson, Miss., in the early 1960s. The story unfolds the lives of each of the women in alternating chapters - which I really like. The book also uses a lot of dialect which I usually detest. Most people over do it. Like, to the point that makes it hard to read. It's like I GET it she's black. But Stockett (the author, who's a graduate from the University of Alabama and a Mississippi native) does it very well. It's tasteful and accurate.

Of course, after I finish a great book...I get depressed. I want more. And I'm sure that she's gonna write more but I want more of that story - and I want it NOW. I shook off the depression and got back on "Devil in the White City." Not the same but it seems pretty good.
Anywhoo - in other Monday news - I addressed and mailed most of my Christmas cards and I talked to Ms. Shirley Davis. Shirley and her grandchildren are our Auburn Club Christmas family. The children's mother died last year of leukemia and their father is not around. Shirley is raising them by herself. So we're helping them have a better holiday through donations of clothing, money and toys.
I've bought the kiddies three shirts each and also gave a check to help pay for an extremely high water bill (they had a leak that went undetected). I've also talked with Shirley and have volunteered to tutor the kids, who are both struggling in reading. I'm going to meet them Friday and I'm so excited. I hope they like me. And just incase they don't, I'm planning on bringing chocolate chip cookies. They'll have to like me then.
Here's a family pic. How adorable are they?

Jessica, 7, Shirley and little Jeremiah who's 5
I can't wait to get started with them. Exciting.
So other than that...it's just more of the same. Plugging along and trying not to morph into a little green Grinch. Oh and I'm also pretty sure I'm running a cat bordello but that's a story for another day.
Wow Lindz--not sure if it's the pregnancy hormones or just the wonderful, selflessness of your actions for Mrs. Shirley's family, but I just teared up after reading that. You get extra bonus points in life for that good deed, Miss Overachiever.
ReplyDeleteBTW--I'm also pumped I read a book before you. I also thought The Help was fantastic. I couldn't put it down either!