Wednesday, November 17, 2010

MRI but another race on the radar

Monday was a Monday. ALL DAY

It started out with me getting up late: Scrambling to shower and get gone. I had a MRI on my hip scheduled for 8:45 a.m. BUT I also wanted to take kitty to get spayed. There's a low cost option at the our pup's vet. $47 for rabies and spaying ... for feral cats. I know this because I CALLED and explained my situation to them. I told them she wandered up, was hungry, the sweetest cat ever ... yada, yada, yada. They told me it was fine and to bring her in when I could catch her. Fine. I figure as long as she's going to be at our house, we should get that taken care of ... I don't want 80 cats this time next year. I actually didn't want ONE cat but what ya gonna do?

I RUSHED to get ready, cornered kitty and tossed her in Byron's carrier from his puppy days (she was PISSED). I drove her up to the vet (wailing all the way) only to be told that she was not a feral cat. She was a stray. 

What. the. hell. 

I called them. They told me to bring her in. But now they say because she wasn't a "mean cat," she's not a "feral cat." Oh really? Thanks guys. By that time, I didn't have time to return her to the hizzle so I got them to keep her and do a standard exam on her. FOR $52. 

Lovely. :( 
But at least I know she won't be giving some bizarre animal ailment to my precious pups. 

From there, it was off to get my hip MRI-ed (thankfully it was an open MRI - couldn't handle the coffin-like one - eek). Still, it lasted 45 minutes and I tried to nap but that wasn't happening with all the noise. 

SOOO...about the potential injury: Dr. Dunn feels certain that I have a tear in the tissue around my hip joint. IF I do, it's either surgery or "deal with it." It's painful, I won't lie. It doesn't hurt when I run, it's just doing a cross over move - like crossing my left leg over my right. Or even stepping into a pair of pants. Ouch. 

From this description, the doctor feels certain that it's a labral tear. That is, torn cartilage in the hip joint between the head of the femur and the pelvis hip socket. It tends to strike those that are active and asking a lot of their joints. For those playing the home game, it looks something like this:

Lovely. And the solution? Arthroscopic surgery. Then two to four weeks on crutches, followed by PT. You should be "good as new" (if you're one of the lucky 80 percent) after 2-4 MONTHS. 

No thank you. Fingers crossed that it's just a strain or something. We'll see. I have already signed up for the 5k Jingle Bell run through the Jekyll Island Historic District. But nothing else. I'm keeping my mileage low and only running three times a week. That might change once I find out what's up with the hip. Who knows. Since it doesn't hurt me while I'm running, I'm not really looking to stop.

Other than that it was a standard day. I went and picked the cat up at lunch. She was still IRATE, but in good health so yay. Once I got her home, she ran like hell...like I'd tried to make her into a kitty casserole. "Whatever you ungrateful little furball!" 

The rest of the day I chilled. I went to the gym after work for three elliptical miles plus shoulders and abs. I went home and made dinner with J then we turned in around 9:30 p.m. 

Sidebar: Kitty was still MIA. 

Tuesday was a better day. I guess. I had another doctor's appointment though, this time it was the "lady doc." I really hate going. AND I hate the fact that this person knows where I work and what I do (and that I LOVE football). Most of all, I hate the fact that he decided to discuss football during the appointment. Really, guy? REALLY?

Aside from that, it was a typical rainy Tuesday. I did discover Girl Talk (a music "masher" who combines all these great songs together into one track) had a new FREE downloadable CD. It's awesome. Love, love, love it. The perfect work out music.  

After work, I ran three miles at the gym...yes I did...with the potential injury. I went home and *surprise, surprise* kitty had returned ... hungry, imagine that. It seems that all was forgiven.

I cooked and relaxed. I watched the interview with Prince William and Kate - I really like her. I know he was worried about my seal of approval. But she's definitely cool (wish I could be a princess!!) 

I hit the hay around 9 p.m. - another day down. Another day closer to the weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment