Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cat bordello, gifts and one phenomenal concert

Hey lovies! Hope all is well.

I know you can't wait to hear about cat bordello I have going here - SO I'll jump in. In recent days, I've noticed quite a few cats spending time with Shelley - our cat (apparently ... she ain't going no where). I'm thinking they are tom cats and I'm doubtin' they are here for conversation. 

-- True, they could just be cats of various gender who swoop in to steal her food and then leave. But I don't think so. 

Honestly though, I think they're here for da booty. : (

And I'm afraid they've gotten it ... and since Shelley was turned down for the feral spaying (she's not a feral cat, she's a "stray" - whatever). I guess it's my fault for not going elsewhere...but geez. I just haven't had time. Fingers crossed that she's not preggo...but she's certainly had a long line of "callers."

Here's a general run down of the "Johns" I've identified thus far:


Rando orange kitty - dude is huge and makes a bee-line for the road once I come on the scene... typical male behavior. That is, running at the first sight of an authoritative figure.


B&W Persian - This one doesn't run. He talks back. Like I'm the one intruding on HIM. He just sits there and meows. Loudly. I feel like he's saying, "Bring it bizatch."


Disturbed, slightly long haired tabby. This one reminds me of the Elizabeth Smart's crazy rapist guy. He's unkempt and seems crazy. BUT he's shy once confronted. He kind of pauses then slinks away.

It's all really stressful. Just hoping that she's not pregnant.

Other than that ... Tuesday I worked and hit the gym during lunch. I ran three miles and did weights. After work, I went to chill with Josh. He was scheduled to be in Denver at a leadership conference (for his company) Wednesday and Thursday. I needed to soak up all the time I could with him.

We had a drink and watched Jack Nicohlson on Biography. We also caught half of the Grinch. I LOVE IT. And Josh STILL hasn't watched the entire thing all together. Insane. I've loved it since I was five.

And I STILL think the Grinch is very misunderstood. He just hated the commercialism of Christmas. That's understandable. Of course, that doesn't excuse his mistreatment of Max ... but that's for another day. 

That was it for Tuesday. 

On Wednesday, I woke up, went to work and did two miles at the gym (elliptical). I had planned to go back after work BUT that didn't happen. I went shopping instead ... hey it did elevate my heart rate slightly. I got shoes from Ross and a cute dress (plus a lot of other stuff) from Target.

I also bought "Santa's" toys for the kiddies the Auburn Club is sponsoring. I went home and wrapped, watched standard programming like Family Guy, and turned in.


Thursday I woke up refreshed and headed to work. I ran three miles over lunch plus legs - ouch. I was busy the rest of the afternoon but that was FINE because Erika and I were going to see Maestro Luis Haza play at the College of Coastal Georgia. This is a guy that I've interviewed before - he and his wife are AWESOME. So nice and down to Earth.

He really shouldn't be because he's got an amazing resume. He was a refuge from Castro's Cuba and his father was executed there. 

Here's some other information:
- Born in Santiago, Cuba, Luis Haza has earned distinction in the United States and abroad for his roles as conductor, violinist, and human rights advocate.
- Over 34 years with the National Symphony Orchestra.
- As solo violinist, he has performed at the White House, appeared on television in the Dominican Republic, and performed the Washington premiere of Cuban composer Jose White's Violin Concerto.
- He was the Director of the American Youth Philharmonic Orchestras, Mr. Haza leads its premier ensemble, the American Youth Philharmonic, and oversees its three other ensembles; Symphonic Orchestra, Concert Orchestra, and String Ensemble. 
- He received the Washington, D.C. chapter of the Recording Academy (Grammy Awards) "Heroes Award."
- He's led the London Symphony Orchestra, the National Symphony Orchestra (including the highly praised premiere of Sandoval's own trumpet concerto), the national orchestras of El Salvador, Panama, and Guatemala, as well as the ASAPH Ensemble (with which he produced the compact disc "A Taste for the Classics").
- Mr. Haza has served as music director of the Woodrow Wilson International Center and the Prince William Symphony Orchestra. He is currently director of the Virginia Chamber Orchestra, was the conductor for the Virginia Ballet Company, has served on the Board of Governors for the Grammy Awards (NARAS), and was an Honorary Chairman of Fairfax's "Spotlight on the Arts" Festival. From 1997 to 2001, Mr. Haza was the conductor of the Orchestra Program for the MasterWorks Festival in New York State. As a recitalist Luis Haza's collaboration with pianist Sara Wolfensohn has also been extensive.
- Mr. Haza performs on a 1707 Pietro Guarnerius (de Mantua) and Napoleon's (yes THAT Napoleon) Villaume pictured bow.

In short - a big friggin deal (see video here). But the fact that he is SO nice and SO passionate really made me wanna go. One of my co-workers gave Erika and I tickets. That's a good thing because they were $100 each. Oy. We headed over after work...OMG. Absolutely amazing. He was so good. It was him on the violin along with a pretty famous pianist. I was blown away. I literally couldn't take a breath during the first two pieces. Transfixed. He did Mozart, Tchaikovsky and John Williams - Shindler's List. Again. Amazing.

After the performance...we did a meet and greet with yummy food. Mr. Haza totally remembered me (little ME) from the interview back in July. He gave me a great big hug and told me that he reads my stories every day. Honestly a lot of people said that or something similar (web cast, etc) it was nice. : )

But any arrogance accumulated from those comments were quickly diffused. We took this pic together. NOT cute of me but at least you can see my festive dress.

We hung out for a while but then this old man barked at me. You read that right. Barked. At a $100 per person soiree. I was barked at.

Here's what happened.
Old man (like 80s old): Woof
Me: Pardon?
Old man: *nadda*
Me:*smiling* How are you doing (trying to play it off)
Old man: better now that you are there.
Me: *nadda*
Old man: Go tell that women in the black sweater I barked at you
Me: Um OK

I walk over to the black-clad woman. She was talking to someone else but I just stood there. In the circle. Staring at her. Nothing. So I motion for Erika and made a quick getaway. I have no idea what that was about. Erika almost died at me just standing in the circle with those people I didn't know. It was bizarre. 

SO I came home and had another drinkie. I blogged - ha - and now I'm calling it a night. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment