Saturday, March 5, 2011

First Friday plus my first "Insanity" work out

Hey all,
I'm working hard not to get too behind this time. So let me tell you what's happened Friday and Saturday.

Friday - I went to work and got a lot done. One of the things I've been writing about "extreme fitness" routines for those who are already in shape, but want to kick it up a notch. I got some great recommendations from local personal trainers. Tim Carlson, who also does half ironmen triathalons, told me about "Insanity Workouts." I decided to do this for my Friday functional day. It's all about not resting at all and keeping your heart rate up. You mix cardio and weight training. Tim suggested doing 0.25 miles on the treadmill between weighted exercises but I wanted to get in three mile so I upped-it to 0.5 mile each time.

Here's what I did:
- Five min. warm-up
- Ran half a mile (one 0.25 "lap" at 6.7 and one lap at 7 mph)
- Directly into shoulder/back/tri station that included 20 pull-downs, 20 pull-ups (assisted) and 20 push downs
- Ran another half a mile (the same - one lap at 6.7 and one at 7)
- Right into legs station: 100 lb squat for 20, 70 lb leg extensions for 20, and jump switch lunges for 20.
- Another half mile (by now, I'm at 1.5 miles) - same drill on the speeds
- Clean and press x 8 with 30 lbs dropped down to 20 mountain climbers balanced on the barbell, 20 push-ups on an inverted half ball, and then 20 leg raises on a bench while holding a 45 lbs barbell.
- ANOTHER 0.5 miles on the tready
- Ab station ... weighted crunches, Russian twists and pike ups all for 20
- Finished-up the three miles ... just ran one mile doing the same speed variations.
- Stretched and out

Sorry - I know that was a long explanation. But it was great and by the end I was dripping with sweat. I'll def. be doing this again. The only downsides are having to set-up the equipment each time or having to wait if someone gets on it before you. Otherwise, fantastic workout. And I certainly needed it because I piled on the voda sodas at First Friday then when we got home I dived face first in a bag of tortilla chips and salsa. Whoops.

It was fun though. We meet up with Erika, Nevin and Mary. Then Josh and I ate at Arte Pizza and finished the night off with this awesome jazz band, Mojo Bone, at the loft of Cargo/So Glo.

Here's some pics:

My sweet Greek friend Georgia

It was fun though. That is until I had to get up at 7 a.m. Saturday to feed the pups. Dude. That wasn't fun. Then I couldn't go back to sleep. I stayed up and watched some of my new ghostie shows. Thankfully I fell back asleep (desperately needed) then woke up feeling much better. I hung out, did laundry, got groceries and ate lunch. It was a very chill day. Just reading and spending time with the fam. We grilled that night and watched TV. Awesome weekend so far.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like an insane workout! Glad you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great workout -love the mix of cardio and ST! haha 'face first into tortilla chips and salsa' TOO FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete