OK so ... lots of things going on here. Some good and some downright shitacular. Journey back to Dec. 17 with me. I took the pups and travelled up to Brunswick to check on the house, hang with Sarah and, the primary goal, meet up with my Dad to exchange Explorers.
This would be where things began to go awry. The Explorer, which has been sitting in the garage since May. Yeah probably should have asked Sarah to periodically let it run ... alas we did not. So yeah it wouldn't crank. Mission aborted. We did however exchange Christmas gifts which was nice. We had a haul from both sides of the fam - Josh's parents and mine. Josh's mom even packed a cooler filled with veggies and barbecue. *More on that later.*
And while we were doing all of this ... there was a massive pile up on the interstate. It was terrible. Several fatalities and the road was just a mess. So sad, especially during this time of the year.
My dad, who was going to drive the five hours back, opted instead to stay the night and booked a hotel near the house. Sarah's mom was staying in our extra guest room so that just made the most sense. We had dinner at Zachry's which was nice. Then Sarah and her mom took me back to the casa. I hung out with them for a while before we all hit the hay.
On Wednesday, I got up had breakfast and coffee at Starbucks, then went to Target. When I got home, I cleaned and then met the newsroom gang for lunch. It was great to see everyone. That afternoon I tried to get my tail light fixed ... it was such a struggle. I beeped from garage to garage and nada. They expected a short but couldn't handle it on such short notice. I gave up ... it was only the bottom light. The other worked fine.
That evening I met Ashley, Anna and Marla for dinner at Millhouse. It was great catching up with them. I headed home and went to sleep. The next day, we were up and at um early to head back to the 305. The kids and I pack up and roll.
It was smooth sailing until we got to St. Augustine. I passed the outlets and decided to go to the bathroom. I pull off I-95 and start to turn into a gas station parking lot. As I turn, the cooler tips over and water goes ALL OVER my back seat/floor board and IMMEDIATELY my car has a FREAK OUT.

I mean first it cuts off then all of the lights came on ... the windshield wipers turned off and on. The dogs are crying. I am FREAKING out. But I finally manage to get the car to crank and stay on long enough for me to putt across the highway and into the parking lot. I get the doggies out of the car (because we were still kinda in the way of people entering/exiting the gas station and random strawberry farm) and call Josh. I was damn near hysterical and had no idea what to do. He tried to help me but really ... he didn't know what was going on. And frankly, I wasn't much help.
Thankfully, some guys stopped and helped me push the car into a space. Josh got on the phone and found a towing company and Mercedes shop.

Off we go.
We were towed to a shop - Jerry's Mercedes - which is owned by these super sweet Hungarian people. Annette and Christoph were so nice and sympathetic. They scanned the car and discovered that the water from the cooler had apparently FRIED my battery and control panel which (moronically) is located under my back seat. I had no idea. So it wasn't going to be done that night.
They got me a hotel room with a friend of theirs for a good deal.
Annette drove us there and we settled in. It wasn't the Ritz by any means. Randomly had a heating lamp in the bathroom. The Bug liked it.


Soon after arriving, I got a call from Christoph and was told that fixing the car would cost ... wait for it ... $730.
Oh. my. God. Yeah. I had a meltdown. But eventually pulled it together and decided to at least enjoy America's oldest city. I mean, of all the places to be stuck ... there are many worse places. And I know my way around fairly well.
Plus it was chilly and all Christmasy. So in that respect it was a nice little stopover.



I had dinner at one of my favs - Harry's - and walked home.
Josh and I FaceTimed for a bit and I felt much better. We went to sleep and got up the next day anxious to hit the road.
Butttt that didn't happen until much later, until like 4 p.m. Annette came and picked us up and brought us back to the car (so sweet of her).
The back window of the car still doesn't roll up or down. But that wasn't an issue. I just wanted to get home to J.

Packed up and ready.
The Bug was none to pleased with having to ride the entire way in the kennel.
We headed home and rolled into the MIA around 9 p.m. I've never been happier to be home. Really.
The next day, Dec. 21, was the seventh anniversary of our engagement. So it was special.

Wow. Our first engagement picture - Dec. 31, 2006.
The majority of the day was spent getting everything back in order. And resting.
That night, we went to South Beach to see the New World Symphony's Christmas show. It's broadcast on a wall while the symphony plays inside ... and it's free. A rarity in SoBe.
It's nice ... you just bring blankets, drinks and can sit back and relax.

I took this picture trying to get the screen but I got this adorable couple being all cute. I couldn't stand it ... I had to show them. So against Josh's cautioning that it was "weird," I walked over and told them to send it to themselves because it's SO cute. They were tickled and really appreciative.
After the concert, we stopped for a drink and a trip to the candy store plus pictures with the tree.

We headed home and the next day ... we put up our own tree. Such as it is.

Oh Byron helped.
We also made a Festivus pole ... because even after 20 years Seinfeld references never get old.

I also worked on some new yoga moves.


Both need work but it's exciting to make progress.
That afternoon we went and watched football at Brother Jimmy's and grilled on the deck. It was a nice weekend, that paved the way for Christmas week.





No comments:
Post a Comment