Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 1: Downtown, Bayside and Grilling

Josh got up early while the rest of us slept-in a bit. I took the pups out around 7 a.m. and got this shot of our Belgian-esque balcony from the ground floor.
We got back upstairs and I made the kids an awesome breakfast casserole courtesy of my bestie and incredible cook, Kelly Martin. (They loved it, Kel). Once it was all cleaned up and we got ready, we were off. The weather was a little ... blah-ish - windy and spotty sprinkles but we made the best of it.
 
 
 
We headed downtown for a cup of Cuban coffee then walked through the park around Bayside. We caught some county workers just as they were putting up the final touches on the Christmas tree. So naturally, it made for a good photo op.
  
 
 I'm SO short. Guess all those forbidden foods took a toll.
(A lot of stuff we eat here isn't available there because it's REALLY bad for you)
 
We also took in the "city beach."
 

 
 And, of course, we had to stop by the arena. 

We made it to Bayside, stopping first for daiquiris from Let's Make a Daiquiri (this is where I realized I didn't have my card, thanks for the drink, Tijl!) and later perused the shops a bit.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Then it was time for lunch at ... drumroll please. Hooters. That's right. How American can you get? We opted to share some aps (especially since I had no dinero). Fried pickles, wings and cheese fries. Yes sir.   
 
 
 
 
They enjoyed the food, especially the pickles.
  
 
After lunch, we waddled home (a common theme throughout the week) and chilled out. I listened to Ineke Skype (in Dutch) with her friend and parents, which was very cool. Even cooler since I could understand almost everything she was saying (of course, context clues help too).
 
Later that afternoon, we went to the grocery store to get things to grill. Josh came home around 5:30 p.m. and then the holiday truly began.
 
We started with drinks and swimming (yes swimming, it's Miami, people) on the pool deck.  
 

 
Not a bad way to start, eh? After that we hit the hay, we had to get up REALLY early to head to Key Largo for snorkeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment