Thursday, December 5, 2013

Day 6: Everglades

Having blown off the planned Thanksgiving prep in favor of pizza and wine Tuesday evening,
I had to get up way early to start cooking for Thanksgiving.

I started about 7 a.m and I made major headway. Then when Ineke was up and at um, I put her to work chopping veggies for me. I cooked the dressing egg bread, turnips, sweet potato casserole, potatoes and peas. But had everything else (that could be) prepped.

We all got ready and prepared to tackle another day of South Florida fun. The plan for the day was an Everglades tour. I'll admit, I was slightly nervous about this little venture after the whole snorkeling fiasco. I mean ... there was a boat and water. The two didn't mix so well for us last time.

But off we went. It was in the Fort Lauderdale area, Josh picked it because it was the Gator Boys Rescue Center. I had never heard of said "Gator Boys" (or perhaps "Boyz?" ... no clue). But it was pretty cool. We had nice weather ... stopped at yet another pillar of the American society, Chik-Fil-A.


And yes, they still ate their waffle fries with mayo. Of course, Josh and I eat ours with hot sauce and so who the hell are we to question condiment choice?

We roll up to the Glades, buy our tickets ... check out the assortment of beer, gator bites and frog legs they're selling and then board the airboat.


All along the tour, they preached conservation and reminded us how "human" they gators actually are. Cool, man, I buy it. So why ya cooking them up back on shore? Doesn't make much sense.

Eitherway. It was beautiful.

 
 
 
 
Our driver also introduced us to some gators he "rescued" and pretty much had at his beck and call. They came over right after he described how they could climb in the boat if they really wanted to, nice touch.
 
 


Dude says when they are showing their backs they're cool.
 
After the tour, we were solicited to hold a baby gator for a $5 photo op (no thanks). 

 

Poor gator. Ineke and I were planning on stealing him and settin him free.

Then we watched a show where a ridiculously foolish brave volunteer climbed in the pin (first below), sat astride a gator and lays his chin on the gators mouth.

 
 
Josh also snapped this gem. But seriously, they are SO much taller than we are. It's like here's Tijl and Ineke ... with their Hobbit friends.
 


#Shortpeopleproblems?
 
When we had our fill of gators (pretty much after those two attractions), we beeped over to Dave and Buster's in Holywood (now they can say they've been to Hollywood in the US).
 
We ordered aps, drinks and played games. Naturally, the boys were in heaven. They played (and later forced us to) the SCARIEST game known to man. It was a 3D zombie deal. It was terrifying. We screamed SEVERAL times, which they thoroughly enjoyed.
 
We also did tamer things. Like Connect 4, air hockey (me and Ine) and Josh and Tijl shot some hoops. I know who had the height advantage there.
 
 
Oh and my favorite. We did this absurd photo booth, one where there is a screen and a guy prompts you to make all of these ridiculous faces.  
 

So fun. And something I will always treasure.
 
We left the arcade and made the last Publix run before Thanksgiving. BAD IDEA - the place was obviously a mad house - but sadly it couldn't be avoided. For the rest of the night, we shared leftover pizza, drinks and music videos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment