Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Yoga and the Seaquarium

Two different events. We didn't do yoga in the Seaquarium. That would be interesting. Well in fact "we" didn't do it at all.

Let me 'splain. Saturday, I got up early to tend to the doggies and make a coffee run - Josh actually didn't have to work! That was reason to celebrate. I let him sleep in and went to Starbucks to pick up his fav, white chocolate moca.

I also pursued the farmer's market. They have your typical fruits and veggies but also ceviche (basically raw fish with lime juice). It's a popular dish here. Of course, we've never tried it - don't really plan on it either.

Once I was back at the casa, we chilled and I did my own little yoga practice. Josh took some pics for me so I could see how the poses looked (I don't have a mirror). I put them up on Facebook - and yes I feel the urge to defend this move. I originally planned send them to Facebook and get them on my laptop here. I was going to post them - what's the harm?

I do this a lot. It's my elaborate system to get photos places. But, before I could people, saw them and gave me some sweet compliments. So I left them up and added some Sunday too. I realize that this makes me look like (and in reality be) a complete attention whore.

Honestly though, I really felt like people were genuine with their praise and that made me feel great. I was proud of myself ... and I haven't felt that way in a long while. I decided to leave them up and even made an album. So while it may be a shameless bid for an "attagirl" from relative strangers, it made me feel good. I don't think that's such a bad thing.

I think as a society we are taught to feel guilty about being proud of yourself. Think about it, when we're given praise we're supposed to deflect it. But why? I know that sounds like complete, self righteous bitchery ... but every now and again shouldn't it be OK to recognize your achievements? (And I'm not talking about me anymore ... people this goes for people in general). I don't think you should be a pompous ass all day, every day but it's cool to be proud of what you've done.  

And remember ... this is Facebook. Showin your stuff is the main reason that the site has done so well. It gives people a place to show their stuff - be it bodies, boozin or babies - everyone does it.

Oh now I've built it up too much. Here are the damn pics and most of you have seen them before. And yes they've been Instagramed.

Tittibasana (in Sanskrit) with a side of Byron 
(My fav pose)
 Salamba Sirsasana
Bakasana or crane/crow pose
 Eka Hasta Bhujasana or
One-Leg-Over-Arm Balance
 
I'm not sure certain of this pose's name but you start standing, do a forward fold then manipulate your arms to reach through and form a bind.
 
You're still bent over at this point ... THEN comes the tricky part - you have to stay bound and slowly rise to standing, pulling your leg up with you. The last part is extending your leg into this position.   
Eight angle pose (I needed to lean forward more)
In Sanskrit, it's Astavakrasana
King pigeon pose (with a bind) ... I'll do another variation next time 
Side plank with leg raise
Vasisthasana
 
These were taken on different days, hence the outfit change. There were actually a few pics (more than a few) where J was like "that's not flattering do something else." Leave it to the man to keep it real.
 
I guess the biggest confidence boost is that I had two yoga teachers comment that I need to be a teacher like NOW. I've always wanted that but didn't think I had the skills or even if I did ... I'm not sure I'd be a great teacher. PLUS a basic online certification course is $300 and one in studio (which I'd prefer) is about $3,000. Clearly, with me not working now ... that's not an option. So we'll see ... maybe one day.

OK enough of that. Our big weekend event was a trip to the Seaquarium. We had to scope it out and make sure it was legit before we took our Belgians there. It was cool. Touristy and expensive but cool. 
 
We saw dolphins, seals, fish, turtles, alligators, sharks and ... Lolitia the killer whale. I'd never seen one before so I was PUMPED! 


Dolphins. I took this from an underwater viewing area
 
 
 Manatee. She was so cooperative with the photo.  Swam right up to me for this pic.
 
 
Lolita.
I know that animals in "zoos" bother some people but - for real - she seems super happy here.


Photo bomber. The whale not the guy. Haha.
 
 
Homegirl can jump. I was SO excited to see this!
 
 We could see the skyline from an area in the park

It was a great day. From there, we did an early dinner at Whiskey Joe's Fish Camp, near the aquarium site. It had a great view of the city skyline.

 
And actually we could see our building. I know it's silly but I always have to acknowledge that.
 
 
It's right here.
 
After a yummy dinner (I had a mango salad while J went with the fried shrimp) we headed home to chill and spend time with the pups.
 
Sunday was a rainy and we decided to hang with the babies and do next to nothing. We did make it to the grocery store, watched some golf, went to the pool when the sun finally made an appearance then grilled out.


Golf watching with Daddy
 
That's about all I got. Not too exciting - as I warned you - but it was a nice, relatively low key weekend with my family so it was perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment