Monday, August 5, 2013

Vizcaya

So, as you can imagine, life has been much less eventful since returning from Belgium. I've just been tackling laundry, cleaning, spending time with the pups and taking care of my ankle. What I haven't been doing - working out.
 
It's been awful and I feel terrible but I really asked too much of my foot when we were on vacation. Now, I'm paying the price. It is still throbbing and is swollen. But I did get my stitches out on Friday ... so that's progress. The doctor advised that I stay off of it and (sadly) out of the pool. I've been obeying - hopefully I will be able to get back to regular programming soon.
 
In other news ... we had a really nice weekend. Friday I drove up to Sunrise to have my stitches removed. It took FOREVER but Dr. Goldstein finally got all of them out. I then met Josh for lunch, visited Target and drove back to Miami. That night, we had drinks and some appetizers with some of Josh's co-workers and their wives in Brickell. The next day, Josh worked most of the day and I went to the grocery store and cleaned. We had a low key night with grilling on the pool deck and took in some "Breaking Bad."
 
Sunday we decided to go to Vizcaya Museum and Gardens in Coconut Grove. The home was built back in the early 1900s by James Deering, a too-rich-for-his-own-good entrepenuer who made his vast fortune through manufacturing farm equipment. The house was breathtaking and the gardens around it ... unreal.
 
It was clear that homie had a bit of an ego. The guy imported all sorts of items from all over the world and everything - from the marble floors to the elaborately detailed ceiling - was over the top.
 
Here are some shots we got  












 
That fireplace was outta control.
The home was filled with elaborate things like this plus paintings and décor from Europe. 

One tapestry originally belonged to King Ferdinand of Spain.
 


 
From there, we went to Monty's a restaurant, bar and grill on the water for a bite. We met some locals and Josh got into a cracker eating contest with the bartender - strange but true. Haha. It was a really fun day though. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment