Thursday, August 1, 2013

Saying goodbye and the trek home

I've never been good at goodbyes. This was no exception. I mean really ... how often is it in life where you meet a couple that you can totally be relaxed with all the time. I never had to pretend with them. Ever. And we had no awkward silences or uncomfortable moments. At least, we didn't notice any. It was just perfection all the way.

So we got up early and they drove us to the Brussels airport. I almost burst into a rendition of this classic while being forcibly removed from their car.

 
We gave big hugs and reminded ourselves that we'd see each other when they come to visit us in Miami in November. (They're doing Thanksgiving with us.)

On the inside I felt like this ...


So. sad. But my mind quickly shifted into plan mode ... more pointedly what the eff am I going to show these people (besides college football and gross overindulgence) when they come here? Like really. I guess I have time.

My best idea, so far ...

  
There's four months ... chill the eff out, obsessive brain.
 
OK so back to getting home. We found out Saturday that our flights had been rescheduled. We weren't leaving until noon then getting into Atlanta around 5 p.m. eastern ... but not leaving until 7:30-ish and arriving in Jacksonville around 10.
 
We had originally planned to drive to Brunswick and spend the night with Sarah but that didn't work with the new schedule. When we touched down, my ankle was enormous and we were both exhausted. We'd been up for nearly 22 hours, with the exception of a few cat naps. We got a hotel near the airport and crashed.
 
The next day was a doozy. We got up, left Jax to meet my dad and the pups in Tallahassee (two hours away). Byron looked like he didn't remember who we were but Keats was very happy.  
 
Then we drove another 8 hours or so back to Miami. By this time ... neither of us were very pleasant to be around.
 
 
It was a lot like that.
 
We made it though. No homicides to report. 
 
Since then, I've just been doing laundry, cleaning and taking care of my ankle. No walking or working out. No pool time either which sucks.
 
But I'm supposed to get my stitches out tomorrow. Whoo hoo. I'm just ready to be healed and move on to the next step, whatever that may be.


No comments:

Post a Comment