Sunday, July 7, 2013

World War Zzzzzs and a happy Fourth

Hola friends! I hope everyone has had a fantabulous holiday week (a reg one for you, Ine, still hope it was fab though).
 
So let's jump right in by backing up to last Sunday. Josh and I decided to do lunch in "the Grove" (Coconut Grove) and see World War Z. I listened to the audiobook on my last great journey from Miami to Brunswick. Like I said ... it was OK. Not great but OK. Josh's co-worker and an avid "Walking Dead" fan assured him that this flick was well worth the $11 ticket price per ticket. Fine. So we go. AND IT BLOWS. I mean ... like a m-fing-whistle. (Yes abbreviations are in order. They are like drinking a Diet Coke ... same punch, less guilt). 
 
Eitherwhoo, it's nothing like the book. I'm not sure if the people who made this movie even read the book. All the two have in common is zombies. I'm not really sure what happened on that screen. I can tell you that Brad Pitt is def not as hot as he used to be (still hot mind you) but all those kids have apparently taken a toll.
 
Even so, the theater itself made up for the ludicrousness of the plot and feebleness of story. It was bad ass.
 
 
... they also served booze.

Sidebar: I remember the huge battle in Brunswick over alcohol in movie theaters ... apparently the "devil is in alcohol" and it would be the ruin of society and people would be all sorts of wasted, killing the "family experience" for everyone else.  
 

Totally outta control, right?

Mmmm hmmm. And there was plenty of alcohol options ... even a bar inside the theater, right next to the entry way to the movies.
 

Amazing.
 
So yes we enjoyed ourselves. But not nearly as much as we did when the Adkisons came to visit us. That being my in-laws. The OG Adksions. They rolled in on Wednesday and spent the Fourth with us. We. had. a. BLAST. Just love them.
 
Speedboat Tour Friday

We started out Wednesday night with drinks and dinner in our hood. Pretty casual and tame. Then Thursday we got up and showed them Josh's bridge. Then it was back to the Grove (yes, saying it makes me feel fancy) for lunch at the Green Spot Café. Then we did time on the pool deck.

A collage, saved you the pain of repetitive scrolling. You're welcome.

That night we walked down to Bayside for the fireworks. Well us with about 500,000 of our closest friends.

 
We could see South Beach's show too

All was well until the end when ... and I sh*t you not ... the light from the last firework fades, the wind picks up and the bottom drops out. And all of these folks start pushing and shuffling, trying to make it inside the Bayside Mall. We got drenched but what was worse ... ALL of the people pushing. I was terrified that we would end up getting trampled.


I started looking around and it was like ....


I envisioned this.


Thankfully this was more like it.

 
No one was trampled ... or killed. Everyone was still up in your biz though.

But we survived and made it four whole (albeit soaking wet) pieces. From there, we slowly made our way out of Bayside and over to downtown. It was still raining so we ducked into the Chophouse and had a drink. I also had an interesting encounter in the bathroom with a lady ... who apparently had a penis because she was standing to "relieve" herself. Or himself. Whatever.

Then we walked back to Brickell and grabbed a late night bite. The next day we went on a super fun speed boat tour at Bayside (which was MUCH less crowded than the previous evening ... no rampant guinea pigs).

The tour went all through Biscayne Bay over near our building (which you can see from the water ... exciting for us, yeah mostly me). We also went over to Star Island and Fisher Island (the most expensive zip code in Florida) where we got to see all sorts of homes owned by famous people.


Once that was done, we shopped and ate Cuban food. Yes. Even Josh dug it. Very impressive.


The rest of the night we hung by the pool and enjoyed one another and a little Frank Sinatra on Pandora. Perfection.

The folks had to leave early Saturday. Sadly, Josh's sweet Aunt Linda (Dad's sister) isn't doing well. So they are going to head out to Colorado to see her. So we are "lighting a candle" as Ine would say.

On Saturaday, we spent Saturday doing laundry and relaxing, which seems to be a repeat today (Sunday).

On tap for this week - Monday night = Braves vs. Marlins game then Tuesday I have to get THREE cavities filled. I cannot believe I have that many holes in my teeth. I suppose that's what three years without the dentist will do for ya. Sad.

Oh and the Belgium countdown has begun ... 12 days til we leave. HURRAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment