Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mechelen - Sunday, July 21

Day 2 in the happiest place on Earth was the National Feestdag (21 Juli) it's like our Fourth of July. So yes we rolled in right when the Belgians (and their more than 200 beers) were about to have a big ass party.

Score.

This one was even more exciting because it was the day that Belgium got a new king - Phillipe - after his father Albert abdicated.
 
We started off by going to the local marketplace. It was huge with people selling everything from food to flowers to bunnies. Bunnies, I tell you!
 
 


Didn't figure customs would approve a Belgian bunny stowed away in my luggage.
 
I found this at a vendor's station. The guy, Ineke discovered, actually has a son living in Marietta, Ga. Small world indeed.
 
 
"Many thing are unnecessary but real friends are needed."
 
We went back to the apartment to watch the king take his oath. He had to repeat it in the country's three languages - Dutch, French and German.
 
Then it was off to Mechelen, Ineke's hometown, to meet her parents and go to the KV Mechelen soccer game. 
 

First train ride of many
 
Mechelen is absolutely beautiful. It was definitely one of my favorite places we visited. Ineke gave us a great tour with lots of info. Of course, she did this daily but this was her hometown so she knew her stuff. We followed her around like this


 

 
The cathedral was built in 1312
 
We headed to Ineke's parents house where we were received a kick ass welcome complete with, of course, snacks and beer. We also got a box of chocolate from her mom. Such sweet people.  


 
Photo courtesy of Dr. Artoos
 
Then it was off to the soccer game. It was a friendly, pre-season game between KV Mechelen and Bourdeaux (France ... like the wine). 
 
And just let me tell you - and this comes from a Miami gal - it was stinking hot there. It was all week but at the game ... there was no where to hide.
 
 
AND there was no AC. There's really no point in having it because it doesn't get hot there often.  
 
For them, it's kinda like
 
 
It's usually in the 70s during the summer. This was much warmer. And yet, people still don't believe in Global Warming.  
 
But the crowd was feeling it and several spectators passed out. They were getting zapped left and right. Thank God that we've been conditioned to heat. What I was less accustomed to was no place having air-conditioning or pools. You really need that shit to survive that heat. I appreciate it so much more now.

 
No worries, kept cool with pinjtes (lighter beer)
 
 
Yay! Sports and beer.
  
Mechelen lost but it was a great experience. It was definitely something that I wanted to see. Ineke rearranged our entire schedule so we could make it. Totally worth it.
 
And on the way back to the station, I snapped this picture. I love it, I feel like it captures the town perfectly. It's one of my favorites from the week.
 

We took the train home and went to their favorite frituur, like a fast food restaurant that sells traditional Belgian food like fries and croquettes (fried pieces of goodness that have different fillings. We ate dinner. I even tasted the fries with mayo and trust me their mayo is much better than ours.  
 
We turned in pretty early. The next day was going to be big - Brugge, Diksmuide and Koksijde.

No comments:

Post a Comment