Saturday, June 29, 2013

A mail update and a Shakespearean bender

So before I dive in ... remember the mail drama? How could you forget?

Incase you did: We moved here April 30, forwarded mail then never got any. We unforwarded. I called the USPS offices (all of them). I cried. I begged. No one gave a f*ck until a sweet lady from Consumer Affairs actually helped me.

The biggest issue was that I needed my license. (I probably SHOULD get a Florida license but ... I couldn't bring myself to do it. And while technically, I'm a Floridian ... I really prefer to remain a legal Georgian. We still have our house there so why not.)

Either who. They supposedly don't forward government documents so that's why I really started to freak. Fast forward a month and a half. Still no license apparently there was an error in the forward (on the part of the USPS) and all of our mail was going to 1604 instead of 1607. Now, no one told me this in any of my 8,000 telephone calls. Well not until Sharon - the Consumer Affairs badass - discovered the error.

SO we called the carrier in Miami on three way (blasty from the pasty ... felt very junior high school) and she says that all of that mail basically was returned to sender. Fine. I call the license office in Conyers, Ga., they didn't get it back (at least not this time ... they did the first go around). Exhaustive. They told me to consider it lost and order a replacement (translation: $5, bitch!)
Well that plus the money to do all the forwards/unforwards. It's typically $1 but I got conned by a third party which cost me $20. I whined and got a refund ... but still.

Fine. We unforwarded the mail and now Sarah is getting our mail. I asked her to overnight it to me when it came. We waited, waited and waited. And finally. Finally it came. She sent it directly to Josh's office ($43) and I was super excited to have it in my hands.

I got it on Tuesday. On Wednesday, we inexplicably started getting the mail sent to apartment 1604. I  guess the carrier found it at the post office here. And you wouldn't believe what turned up.
That's right. The original license. Apparently, I have two now.

For real. You can't make this shit up.
When I opened the envelope, I just stared at it. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry ... so I chose to laugh. I have all of my important stuff now so I should be good. I can't even be mad. I mean, I can but what will that get me? I guess you just have to laugh about it. Right? 
There's the end to the mail fiasco.

Moving on ... I left you guys Tuesday when I was feeling pretty puny. My stomach hated me for about three days. I worked through it though and by Thursday I was back to my ol' self. That made my workouts for the week suffer too and that's never good. I got in two good workouts and long walks. Trying for one tomorrow (I was too lazy today).  
I also Skped with Ineke on Thursday - always a good thing. It's crazy how well we get along and how close we are. We're family. We really are. I can't wait to see her next month. 14 work days til we leave. So friggin excited.
We also went over my recent Dutch lessons. I'm on level 22 and can read this now.
It says "is the girl with the blond hair speaking in the ear of the girl with the black hair? Yes, she is speaking in the ear of the girl with the black hair.
Other than language lessons, I've also been back in touch with my lit roots. I watched "Richard III" with Ian McKellen, Annette Benning and Robert Downey Jr. It was exactly like the Shakespearean play except it was set in the 1930s with a fictional war between members of the same family (just like the play). It's brilliant.

Highly recommend if you're a Shakespeare fan ... or even if you aren't.
You don't really notice the language.

I've seen it like six times in five days. For real. I get on benders like that. I did the same thing with the "Merchant of Venice" (with Al Pacino). I guess there are worse things to go overboard with ...
I did manage to turn off the TV to go out Friday night. Josh and I returned to the place we went last week ... Finnegan's in Brickell. We just love that waitress, Jeanette. She's one of the very few waitresses that we have had here who seems like they care. So we hung out, listened to the band ... and spent at lot of money. I mean, it's outrageous. Drink prices are so outta control here and if you don't monitor your ordering you can get in deep fast. I mean ... we just ate an appetizer and had a few drinks but wowza. Expensive. I won't tell you how much but basically we spent nearly all of our eating out money on drinks/aps there. Dios mio. 
We hoofed back home. Saturday (today) has been a lazy one. We planned to go to the pool (zwembad in Dutch, incase you're curious) but storm clouds rolled in right when I went to put on my suit. Instead, we gave each other massages and watched the 1400 Days of Caligula. Yes we are incredibly cool people.
And then ... naps. At least for three of the four family members.



Tonight we're looking to grill and kick it at the crib. We're planning to go to Coconut Grove tomorrow to get lunch and watch "World War Z." Should be fun although I'm certain it's not going to be as good as "Richard III." The zombie apocalypse can't trump historically drama ... a royal family civil war.

No comments:

Post a Comment