Wednesday, July 31, 2013

AMSTERDAM!!!! July 23

I woke up bright and early to this sunrise on my dirty 30.

 
Then Ineke came by our door, knocked and sang happy birthday. Such a great start. We were out the door and at the train station for the ride to the capitol of the Netherlands - Amsterdam.
 
 
 Oh yes.
 


And they had champagne for me! S
eriously, the government should make them ambassadors.
 
  
 
Naturally, the royal baby news was everywhere.
 
When we arrived, it was still really early. We did a bit of sightseeing and then shopping.

 
The palace where the DUTCH (Dutch not Belgian ... there is a difference, people) king was crowned recently.


As you might imagine, tulips were a popular item.


As was another plant Amsterdam is famous for ...


We decided to do a boat tour to see the city.

 
It was lovely ... but hot.
 



So hot in fact that every time we were shaded by a bridge everyone. We found a way to cool off afterwards. We stumbled onto this little gem, which was fabulous.


We had some drinks at a cafe then went to the famous "wall" for lunch. Basically, it's cooked food (croquettes) and you press the button and you get hot food. It's so cool.



Felt like Disneyworld


Mine was called a bami, I believe, it had noodles inside it. Yum.
 
We walked around the city, toured the Red Light District (oh my!) and just took it all in. We honestly spent a lot of time trying to find places that had AC. We walked around a mall for a while just soaking up the cool. 
 

We had planned to tour the Anne Frank house but the line was insane.


I settled for a picture.
 
 

Train station

We took the train back to Rotterdam where we had my birthday dinner with ricotta and wine at a real Sicilian restaurant. And Ineke got Josh to try a piece of her dish ... chicken livers. He actually did it. Just shows you how much he likes them ... he would never do that for me. Of course, I probably wouldn't ask. I can't get my brain around eating organs.


Now this is an Italian menu ... it ain't the Olive Garden.
 Thankfully, our multi-lingual friends helped us out here.
 
That night we hung out at home and had some drinks. It was THE BEST BIRTHDAY I've ever had. Really. So amazing. I know I keep using that word - amazing - but there really isn't any other term to describe it. M-F-ing AMAZING.

No comments:

Post a Comment