Friday, June 21, 2013

Kicks and Giggles

What it is, friends. Or should I say "amigos" or "vrienden"? I am plowing full speed ahead with these language lessons.

I am on level 22 in Spanish and 15 in Dutch. I am doing Dutch sentences! Of course, it all is like one big game of concentration. If anyone were to actually try to engage me in conversation via either of these languages, I would go all doe-eyed and start drooling. Still I know what this means without thinking too much: zijn dit de broer en zus van het meisje met de lange haren? nee, dit zijn de ouders van het meisje met de lange haren. (Ineke is like "SO" lol)

It's means "These are the brother and sister of the girl with long hair? No these are the parents of the girl with long hair."  

So anyway here's what has been up this week:

First and foremost. The Heat, baby.


It was a hard fought series and season but they pulled off a win for game 7. We stayed in and watched it but you couldn't escape the excitement.

Well. Excitement once they actually won. Poor Josh is burning the candle at both ends - leaves at 6 a.m. and gets back at 7 p.m. each day.

 
He deserves a half time power nap.
 

After the final play, we went out on the balcony to see all our neighbors who were home also on their balcony yelling "Let's Go Heat!"


The car horns were blaring (more than usual). Fireworks were going off. And the pots and pans. That's a Miami thing that apparently comes from a Hispanic/Latin American tradition.

 
A pic I borrowed from a news station
 
So yeah we got into the act and banged some in the kitchen. Then we went to bed. We weren't about to jump into the vat of crazy on the streets.
 
In other news, I actually went to the beach this week. It's the second time I've been there since we moved. It's not that far ... but seems difficult to get to, then you have to drive back ... avoid rush hour, etc. Blah.
 
But once you get to South Beach, it's all worth it.
 


I parked (another challenge) in the Art Deco district and walked around a bit before staking out some territory on the sand. It was still crowded but nothing like it was that one weekend we went.

 

It was fun. I saw Versace's house (where he was killed) and a random guy with a python. So yeah. Interesting day.

Those are the biggies. Just been kicking it and now we're ready for a weekend.

AND we've hit the 1 month mark. Belgium bound in less than 30 days. Cannot wait.


 

1 comment:

  1. So excited for your upcoming trip!

    Glad you made it to the beach - no what you mean about planing your life around traffic for REAL!

    Man with python? no pic? LOL

    How are you learning Spanish and Dutch?

    ReplyDelete