Sunday, June 16, 2013

Celebrando papá, Aventura and the Wynwood Walls

Before I get into the weekend's activities ... a mail update.

Oh yes. I know you've been waiting with bated breath (or if you're seriously interested read the backstory here). So I took the most recent advice and actually mailed out a letter to the US Postal Consumer Advocate on Friday.

I let it fly like Mussolini from the balcony ... documenting in annoying detail each wrongdoing on the part of the ol' USPS. Of course, it felt just like I was mailing a letter to Santa Claus. I don't honestly expect someone to contact me about this. Ever. I'm just gonna have to suck it up and deal. And I know I'm harping on about this mail thing. But it's really damaging when you need your M-F-ing driver's license. Everything else is (clearly) less important. You can set all of the Victoria Secret mags on fire ... just give me my license. I actually had to pay $5 to get them to mail out another one Friday. AND NOW my temporary one has expired, which is just lovely.

Either whoo. So yeah. IN OTHER NEWS. Today is my dadio's b-day. Big 57 or 58. Perhaps the big 59. He never really seems to know his age.

And I'm ready to get on board with that policy (especially next month). So I say, "Right on, pop!" Fluidity is big when it comes to aging. Who cares if we flub (or just for real can't recall the number). It doesn't really matter.


Cheers, Dadio!
 
So we had a blast this weekend and really don't want it to come to an end. On Friday, we ate in and went out for drinks (late for us 9 p.m. and early for Miami). We walked over to Fado in the Village, which is quickly becoming our favorite spot. Great service and a good atmosphere. What else could you want?
 
On Saturday, we got up and were SUPPOSED to go to the doctor for our annual (insurance mandated) physical. So I made the appointment but when we got there ... the place was a little sketchy. Like it said "Doctor" and was next to a liquor store. Weird people were milling around outside and Josh was like "I'm not going in there." So yeah we will be going some place else.
 
We blew off the doctor and went to the mall. Yay. Aventura, unlike this one doctor's office, is very nice. The mall is super nice. Like they have stores that I have never heard of ... because they are too swank and expensive.
 


 
The mall had everything from Forever 21 to Nordstrom to a Ulsye Nardin watch store. There was also a farmer's market inside with tons of vendors selling everything from veggies to empanadas, soap and jewelry.

 
Pretty colors.
 
They also, like many malls, had cars strategically parked throughout the building. But these weren't Kias or Hondas. These were Maseratis and Porches.


Man candy.
 

 
There was also an amazing gallery in the mall - the photos of Peter Lik. This guy is unreal (as are the prices on his pieces).
 
We couldn't take photos inside but here's a sample of his work.
 

 
This doesn't do it justice. The color is absolutely overwhelming. And it changes with the light. So yeah we enjoyed looking around. If we ever find an extra $30,000 we'll pick one up.
 
From the mall, we went back through Wynwood to check out these amazing murals. They are called the Wynwood Walls and were done by artists from all over the world (Brazil, Greece, Portugal). And they are breath taking.

There are a lot of galleries around this area but you can tell that's it's still a little ghetto. But worth the trip. Enjoy

 















We went back to the casa and chilled (I went to the pool whilst Josh was cozy with the pups, watching the US Open). That night we ate at Casablanca, a restaurant and fish camp on the Miami River. It was DELICIOUS. The best we've had since we moved here. Oh. My. Gah!


Nice view ...
 
 
Until a half million dollar boat obscures it.
 
After the noms, we headed home to watch ... dum dum dah - Casablanca! That movie is so amazing. Definitely my top five favorite movies.
 
So yeah that's been our weekend. Now it's Sunday Funday. Can't wait to see what it holds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment