So before I start I am gonna offer a disclaimer ... Some of the opinions offered here may come off as critical or just general bitching. I get that.
I don't mean it that way though. Don't take me for a gal ... whose husband works like a dog, puts his wife in a phat ass condo in a gorgeous place and then she takes to the blog to bemoan her fortune. Not at all. I love this city! And I'm not tryin to complain here.
But it is just all really new and I am still tryin to get my mind around "city living."
With that let's begin ... Starting with a pretty picture - love this spot
Pool view and my favorite spot here
So we re gonna break this down into a few categories to make it more manageable for me.
• Walks and general adventuring
With Josh at work all day - often until 7:45 p.m or 8 - I have lots of time on my hands. One way I am spending it is waking around Brickell and downtown. It has been interesting.
I found this tree on one of my walks
At first the downtown part, which has a lot of different ethnicities trying to sell you suitcases to go fill up at the International Mall, was kind of scary. It seemed a little sketchy but it's OK. There's all sorts of cafes and stores there too.
But the International Mall is pretty unique.
The entryway to the mall
It is bizarre Miami ritual but people from other countries come here and they go shop there, pack their suitcases with presumably cheaper/hard to come by items to take home with them. I really don't know the whole story but it's strange. Of course, no one has tried to sell me a suitcase. I guess they can tell that I'm American.
Suitcases being sold in downtown
Also downtown - my favorite Cuban coffee shop. I am so addicted to this coffee I wave walked the three mile round trip about ... Three times this week.
Roho Cuban Coffee. Yes please.
So there's that. I have also seen number of cyclists nearly killed by freewheeling Bentleys or Porches. The daily parade of lux cars here (and seemingly carefree drivers) is wild.
On my routes, I have walked the two-ish miles to the Heat's stadium. Since they are in the playoffs, it has been a happening place.
• The Dogs
Bless them. It has been a change for them and a big ass challenge for me. With Josh at work, they are my responsibility. And if they were normal dogs it wouldn't be so bad. But Byron is trying to throw down with every dog here. Even when he is in the cart (which has become the best investment I've ever made).
And I know (per obsessive Internet search) that it is my fault because I never let him socialize with big dogs really any dog when he was a pup. I would always pick him up because I was afraid the other dog would eat him. He was so tiny. So that, apparently scarred him.
... meaner than a junk yard dog ...
But today (Friday) when I took him out this morning, and he tried to pounce a lab - I did what a website suggested - jumped him - and forced him to roll over (submit). When that didn't work, I yanked him up by his scruff, offered a mighty NO.
Then friends ... I growled at Byron. Hand to God. That is what the website suggested. And since it was 6:30 a.m. and I was out of options. I went with it.
I can only imagine what neighbors were thinking. A woman kicking her dogs ass, in the rain, before 7 am ... And growling. Prob thought I was on bath salts.
Another issue I am having with them - Barking at the door/hallway noise. A lot of dogs do that in here. But sheesh. They let loose at the slightest sound.
So yeah. All the drama is weighing on me for sure. I just want to be able to walk them without incident. That shouldn't be hard.
Then I have another problem with them - I hate it when they go on the balcony. They stick their little heads through the railing and I nearly puke.
Josh assures me that physics won't let them fall. I've never been much of a science buff so I really can't bank on that. I just keep the door closed.
• Traffic
Good God, y'all. I was not prepared. These people drive like they just hit a Scarface-sized line of blow. I mean they zip beside you and pull over ON YOU going like 80 mph. It's like the lines don't matter. They are like "I want this space. I'm coming over now bitch" ... "Hell no, I won't signal. I am too busy for that."
• Speaking of said communciation
I have always been a big believer in the unofficial "American creed." You remember, the one chizzled in bronze near this really big statue in New York harbor. Goes something like this "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to
breathe free; The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the
homeless, Tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden
door!"
I know that many people don't feel that way anymore. They aren't fans of immigration - legal or otherwise, let's just be honest about that. They don't want "outsiders" here. I find that an ironic attitude from a nation founded by "outsiders." But whatever.
So I say all of this to get back to this ... if you are one of these anti-outsiders - Don't come to Miami. Seriously. Don't. Because white "Americans" are the minority. English is the second language. Spanish is numero uno.
I find it fascinating to see this kind of culture. I mean, the cashier spoke to me entirely in Spanish. Then realized I didn't have a clue but I plan on learning it. I want to learn. That's the world we're living in today. And I'm down with it.
So ALL IN ALL ... it's been a challenging first week. It's had it's ups and downs but there's one thing that can be said for sure - I don't think that I'll ever be bored here.












No comments:
Post a Comment