Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Good times vs. the constant struggle

OK friends. I'll admit it. It's been a mixed bag since we arrived here. It seems like there has been a wave of unfortuante events mingled with a few stellar moments. Mostly though, unfortunate events.

But before I delve into that, let me share a few photos of one particular stellar moment (day rather) that we had Sunday. We went deep sea fishing (along with Josh's co-worker Joe) on the Iron Head, a boat owned by Josh's boss, Luke.
 


We didn't catch anything but it was such a blast, really. We loved every minute of it.


 
Our first time deep seae fishing ... and no one got sick.
 
After the fishing (or lack there of) ended, we beeped over to the lake (in Boca Raton) where we swam and drank the afternoon away. It was lovely. I absolutely adore Luke's wife, Jackie. We are totally two peas in a pod.
 
Another stellar moment - we got a new couch from IKEA. Now we just need a new rug and we'll be in business.

 
 
 
OK so with all that said, I'll jump into the other aspects of the move that are not so great. First and foremost, the job search. I've been looking around, hoping to get a gig as a freelance writer. So that's what I've applied for ... I got an "interview" with one company. Now, I knew that this wasn't a legit business (supposedly named P&G ... aka Proctor and Gamble).
 
The first clue? Terrible grammar in the job listing. This is supposed to be a Fortune 500 company and I feel certain that they require their HR departments to have a basic command of the English language.
 
That was a dead give away that something isn't on the up and up. The next sign ... the "interviewer" wanted me to get onto Yahoo Chat for the interview. Later, I actually opened Yahoo to see if anyone would approach me. And they did. They (again with terrible grammar) wanted to know if I was ready for the interview. I didn't have anything else do so I said sure. At the end of a line of pitiful questioning, they proceed to explain to me that the company wants to hire me for an administrative possession. Well I had simultanesouly been researching their "company" online to discover a variety of articles referring to this scam. When she was asking for my contact information, I copied and pasted a link to this storyin the window and said ... "now I have a question for you ... what's this?" The interviewer goes "I don't understand." I said "this is a scam and you all should be ashamed of yourselves for trying to dupe desperate job seekers." Then I added, "Don't ever contact me again." And I clicked out of the chat.
 
What asshats. I have got to find the link to that job so I can tell the search engine that they are a bunch of phonies.   
 
But anyway, I did actually think that the search had come to an end for me a few days ago. I got a promisng response for a freelance company on the west coast. They develop content for web pages. So I go through all of the steps and I'm hired. Here's the kicker ... they only pay $4 per 400 words. So basically $1 per 100 words. Now this would be a piece of cake if they gave you topics that were somehow easy to write about off the top of one's head. But ... they aren't. I ended up having to research various pieces and spending way too much time on them. And then they would say that the pieces were similar to other things found online. Well yeah. I had to get information from somewhere. I couldn't make up 3200 words on the Alaska Waste Management System off the effin cuff. And even if I could, that would be a total of $32 for who knows how much time. At the end of the day, it just wasn't worth it. So I wrote a few and threw in the towel.
 
That just happened this afternoon. And I feel AWFUL about it. I just want to crawl up in a ball and die. I'm so disappointed in myself. I've really never given up on a job before but that was ridiculous. They were taking advantage of me (at least that is how I see it). So now it's back to square one.
 
Sigh. I just miss my job at the paper. I also miss my sense of self worth. I must have left that on the side of I-95 somewhere between Miami and Brunswick.
 
And one another note ... Josh is the one who is working. In fact, he is working all the time.We don't see much of each other, so I'm alone most days. Both of us have also been pretty worked up with all of the drama that's going on (work for him and lack of work for me) and not really getting along well.
 
It's nothing serious. It's just a lot of stress and BS. And it's not just making an impact on us. The dogs are in quite the state as well. Byron is still trying to ruff up (haha) any furry cohort he may see in the halls or on the "pissing green." I just don't know what we're going to do if he doesn't get better.
 
Double sigh. I know things will get better but today just wasn't a great day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment