Thursday, February 3, 2011

This post was going to be about hair ...

It's true ... this post was going to be about the new hair styles I've tried this week. Most involved the ever-popular poofy crown. I thought they were pretty cute.

But now I have something more serious, unfortunately, to write about. SO if you're not in the mood, turn tail now.

My grandfather (my mom's father) is dying. He has cancer. Cancer that apparently wasn't discovered until pretty recently, although I suspected it all along. He was a very heavy smoker (multiple packs of unfiltered Pal Malls a day). He has gone down hill pretty quickly, even more so in the past few weeks.

He and I honestly aren't very close, which is OK. That's not to say that he wasn't always very sweet to me - he was. We just weren't close.

My mother isn't handling this very well and I feel terrible for her. I wish that there was something I could say to make it easier on her. There's nothing to say. There never is at a time like this ...

I find it most comforting to "celebrate" someone's life rather than mourn their death. So in that vein, here are a few pictures I snagged from my very tech-savvy grandmother's Facebook page. It's crazy to think that, in all of these photos, he was younger than I am now:

At age 17

He and my grandmother in 1956 (a year before my mom was born)
** Funny note: My grandmother's caption for this said, "at someone's birthday."

In 1956
He had four children, one that he lost to cancer. He was a business owner and served in the Army in Korea, which he would never talk about. I think he had a very good life. I hope he's at peace soon.
Thanks for reading! Please send some good thoughts my family's way ... we could use them about now.

1 comment:

  1. Sending good juju your way! I don't blame him for not talking war. Ryan tells me the bare minumum. Obviously, I would freak the %&*# out if I knew what was really happening! I hope whatever happens, he is pain free and happy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete