Monday, October 14, 2013

Seizure dog, zombie run and the metrorail

Buenos dias, friends. Hope everything is going well in your worlds. Last week was a mixed bag for us.
 
On Monday, most of the day was standard - cleaning, walking the pups, working out and grocery shopping. But I also noticed that Byron had a injured paw. I assumed he stepped on something that was stuck inside it. I tried to find whatever was in his little foot pad but couldn't. The skin was swollen, pink and bled sometimes. He was in constant lick-the-paw mode and I decided it was best to have it looked at before it got infected.
 
I scheduled an appointment for Tuesday with the vet - again. It's our third vet visit in three months. I decided to take Keats along and have them recheck her ears while I was at it (and paying for it). We go and got meds. The dogs were - as per usual - freaked out. Otherwise they were fine.
 
On our way back home, I noticed Byron was acting strange. He was standing very still then started to tremble. It's happened a couple of times in the past. We Googled that behavior and all signs pointed to a muscle spasm. This time was different though. We got back to the apartment and Byron kept shaking. I tried to talk him through it. But it kept getting worst. His little body was all stiff then he started to froth at the mouth. I absolutely lost my shit. I thought he was dying. I really did.  
 
Then it eased up. He acted better ... took a sip of water and threw up everywhere. I immediately called the vet and told them we were coming back. 
 
I scooped him up and ran as fast as I could down the street to Dr. Frishman's office. By this time, Byron was better ... he just seemed a little loopy. They looked him over and decided that he has focal, stressed induced seizures. Apparently, the first visit to the vet put him over the edge and brought it on. They gave him a shot, which was very painful. He screamed (awful). They sent us home with simple instructions: keep him calm and let him rest. The vet believes, since the episodes are so infrequent, that he doesn't need medication for them and that he's gonna be just fine. Either way, it was super scary. I was TERRIFIED.
 
I brought him home and he was wiped out but fine otherwise. On Wednesday, Byron was a little tired and sore from the shot. We walked and took it easy.
 

I did yoga with a new instructor - great class with Miguel - and threw in some cardio. It was also the day that I left my yoga mat in the women's locker room. When I returned for class on Thursday it was no where to be found. Not in the locker room and not in the lost and found closet. Someone stole it.

Really? Who would steal my nasty yoga mat that smells like my sweaty feet? The monthly gym fee is like $50 so clearly the people coming here have money. The mat cost like $20. So that pissed me off. I spent the next couple of hours trying  to work off my anger in yoga and cycle. Then I headed home for a little pool time and walks with the pups.

The next day - Friday - it was the same deal ... working out and pool time. I also ordered a new yoga mat ... oy. I had planned to go to Total Wine to start stocking up on beers for the Belgian visit but instead I finished season one of American Horror Story and watched a couple of Breaking Bads. When Josh got home around 7:30 p.m., we had a quick drink and walked down to Bayside for dinner at Chili's.

Saturday was my zombie 5K run. I was registered as a zombie and was tasked with chasing the runners, trying to steal their "lives" (strips attached to their belts). So J dropped me off and I got all made up.


The final product.

They dropped us at different course locations. And then we had to wait, and wait and wait. Luckily, our spot was at the beach. So I took selfies.
 
 
 
And plotted strategies with my fellow zombies.

 
I'd never done this kind of race before and started to fear that I wasn't going to get a workout since we were in one particular spot and not running the entire course. Boy was I wrong. I spent over an hour basically doing full sprints after the runners. It paid off though. I "killed" a few.
 
 
When we were done, Josh came to pick me up and we headed home. I washed all the blood/make-up off then we grilled at the pool. Great night.
 
On Sunday, we took the pups on our coffee run then headed home for a little pool time.
 
 
 
That afternoon, we decided to have a little adventure and take the metrorail to Coconut Grove.
 
 
It's a train that goes over the city.
 

It was a little slower than we expected ... the driver kept stopping for some weird reason. But we made it. Then had to walk about a mile to the CocoWalk. We went to Duffy's (yes, the scene of part of last weekend's debauchery) and watched football.

 
 
After taking in a couple of games, we hurried back to the station and caught the train home just in time to get home, get settled and get ready for the new Walking Dead. Sadly, the show was a little anticlimactic. But it's the first one ... I'm sure things will pick up. Glad it's back, we've missed it.

Eitherwhoo. That was last week. This week has started with Josh taking a sick day (tummy troubles) and me playing nurse. Not a great start. But it will improve ... Friday we're heading down to Key West for our 6th wedding anniversary. Can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment