Monday, October 24, 2011

Four year anniversary and trip

Hey there blogsters - Happy Hump Day! I'm ready for this week to be DONE. So I'm over hump day. Is that wrong? I don't think so.

But before I head into the future (i.e. - the weekend) let me take a brief bebop back to the past couple of weeks. The ones I've been actually TOO busy to blog about. Crazy, right?

Here are the high points:
• Campaign
My Dad asked me to design his campaign paraphernalia. Backstory: He was appointed to the Probate Judge spot by outgoing Alabama Governor Bob Riley Jan. 2011. Now he has to run for it.

He wanted me to design some palm cards for him. And when I tried to explain that he'd do better to get with a professional graphic designer ... he insisted "you are a professional." Translation, "you are cheap labor."

This was my idea. The slogan, "The Dude Abides" (a la "The Big Lebowski") with happy colors. Like des.
Add a "T" to the beginning

I kid, I kid. I do like it though. But he wanted something more conservative. He is a Republican now, after all. So we went with uber cheese.

Could you get more cheesy? I doubt it!

Wow, right?

Anyway. So in addition to that, I've also been doing some classroom lectures on interviewing and story writing for middle schoolers. It was interesting.

Background: The local Port here has a non-profit unit attached to it called the Seafarer's Center. They have an outreach program with local schools. They have asked me to give some lectures about interviewing/writing because the kids are going to interview local seafarers who come into the port. That was a lot of Power Point work but I think it went well.

• Anniversary
This brings me to the anniversary. The big 4 year mark. We're both still alive which I think bodes well. The day started out perfect:

I found wine and a card from Josh in my car's seat. That's a nice way to start the day! Later, I got flowers at work - always exciting.


We went to dinner at Coastal Kitchen then did Amelia Island for the weekend. Such a pretty place.

Spent time on the beach ... which never gets old, even when you live "at the beach."

We went to the local farmer's market (I got some fresh field peas, which I have already eaten).

Such pretty, fresh flowers.

We took in the awesome local houses ... this one had a glass "hole" through the middle of it.

We walked around the charming little historic district.

You know Josh loves signage (mostly maps) but really any kind of sign.

I go for "artsy" looking old buildings.

And anything bright. Too bad that the camera "blew out" my face (I guess it flashed?)

We took in some beautiful sunsets on the water.

We also got a couple's massage at the Spa. The place was uber nice. And the service was great. However, I couldn't really "free my mind" ... whilst sitting in the "meditation area" pre-massage (the meditation area is made of solid glass windows) a poor little bird flew into the glass. I was horrified (and sure it was dead). It stumbled around and fell on its face. SO SAD. But Josh swore up and down that it was just knocked out. The entire massage my thoughts kept drifting back to that poor bird. But, sure as shiz, it was gone when we left so I guess Josh was right (as always). From there, we watched a depressing football game and then did dinner at a cute little restaurant called Jack and Dianne's. It was great.

We stopped at a bar called the Green Turtle afterward and listened to a band. We were in bed before midnight.

Sunday was all about traveling home (not far, about 40 mins) and getting organized. It was a great weekend. And I'm so glad to be married to my fantastic husband.

Well, that about brings us current. This week has been preparing for the marathon (mostly mentally trying to get my head around it). Ash and I are running our last long run - 8 miles - Thursday. Then it's go time. Eeeekkkk!!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy 4 years! Im honestly shocked Ryan and I haven't killed eachother yet! Bahahaha! It sounds like a lovely little trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Lindz! And I love the Adkison's too of course! I had no idea you were a lecturer AND a graphic designer...now I have to add that to the growing list of reasons I am jealous of you. :) And give The Honorable Judge Pops a "good luck" from me!

    ReplyDelete