Things have been so busy here and I haven't really had time for a lengthy catch-up. We did Key West with the in-laws last week (such a blast) and today Sarah is coming for the weekend. SO EXCITED. I'm in the midst of cleaning but wanted to do quick post. A yoga-based post.
I fear that a lot of people may be sick of seeing my yoga shit. And that's fine. They can stop reading. Or stop following on Instagram/Facebook. But it's my jam right now and that's what I'm doing. Other people are having kids, which is awesome for them, and I'm doing yoga. I don't know if people are being critical of my near-obsessive posting (something tells me they because people are pretty critical of everything). Yet I know the people who matter - you, dear readers - are supporting me. That's all I need.
And with that ... some before-and-afters that really give me hope. Sometimes I feel like I'm making no progress. That's why I take pictures (well that and to participate in the Instagram yoga community, where I've learned SO much).
Pics don't lie (sometimes I wish they did) but slowly ... my body is starting to catch on.
SLOWLY but surely. Don't get me wrong. I still bust my ass. Frequently. Some days are better than others. And some days I just can't do shit.
Even so, I can tell that practicing - three to four times a week - has really made me stronger. It's not a case for me being cool ... this is a case for yoga being cool. I think a lot of people get the impression that yoga is just "stretching." It's not. It's functional resistance training with body weight ... not to mention the mental benefits.
OK without further blathering. The first example ... this posture. I don't know the name of it (I need to ask someone). This was me - obviously in mid-December. I wasn't my best even then (I was wearing boots which added weight). But here it is ...

Then this is the same pose yesterday Feb. 6.

I need to straighten the back leg and get the bent (the foot side) up a little more to be parallel with the back one. But improvement has been made.
Next up ... scorpion. I remember this was taken on the last day of the NFL playoffs. January 11.

This was taken last Friday, January 31.

The strap wrapped around your arms truly aids in stability. Learned that on Instagram.
And this one was taken this Wednesday, February 5.

Then here are some handstands that I've been working on. I've discovered that pressing the heels together helps you stay up longer. Both of these were taken over the past two weeks.


The old dancer in me always prefers pointed toes.
OK so onto flying side crow. I was SO excited to get this (taught by Kristen at class) back in August. But I had a lot of trouble (still do, actually) straightening that front leg.

But I'm making progress. This was taken on Wednesday.

Next up, Eka Pada Galavasana. Flying pigeon. The first was taken in the beginning of January.
And this was taken Thursday (yesterday, February 6).
So that's all my before and after shots. But here are a few other pictures that I really like.
A side-view of grasshopper. You can see the "arm shelf" here. You really have to get that foot into the crook of your elbow so you can still have room for your leg.

One of my favorites ... bada konasana or bound angle pose.

And last ... just a random elbow stand split. I'm really getting more comfortable in elbow stands now and it's fun to play.

Kindly ignore the lint on my pants.
So that's about it. Thanks for reading. I'll be back to regular programing next week. Happy Friday, y'all and Namaste.


No comments:
Post a Comment