Thursday, February 20, 2014

A fiasco at sea

Hola, friends. Hope everyone is well out there.

So let's get into it. The big V-Day. Friday first. I had a great day of shopping and getting ready to grill out that evening. I also had a nice yoga practice ... in heels for some extra spice. Oh and Byron helped too. 


















So that was fun. And later I got this one. I'm still terrible at headstands but that's why walls are helpful. Like for this, I can balance once I'm in the pose but getting into it is hit and miss. Plus I'm always wary of re-injuring my back. (*this week I've been doing a lot of headstand presses and I'm feeling more comfortable.)


The rest of Friday was chill. We took a walk with the pups by the water/moonlight. Then we grilled on the deck whislt having some wine. We ate, had champagne and watched Casablanca. Perfect evening for us.

The next morning came early. As in 5 am early. We had to be at the port by 7 a.m. to get checked-in and board the boat. 

It was a glorious day. 




It took a while to get going but we rolled out around 8:45-ish. There was a band, games and music. The boat had three restaurants as well as two levels of gaming, so there was plenty to do. 

It takes two hours to get to Bimini from Miami so we rolled in about noon. 


And then, it got interesting. We were grabbing a bite to eat (a "veggie sandwich" for me that turned out to be just a BLT without the B and tons of mayo - yuck - and a burger for J) so we didn't get into line right away. Not smart. 

By the time we got in line for the catamaran ride to the island, it was out of control (like it wove throughout the casino). After 20 minutes of waiting, the line was moving along (and we were next) but then we were told that the boat couldn't make the trip with the intense waves. We had to wait until another (bigger) boat could come get us. And it was going to take 45 minutes. Oy. 

The problem with this was ... we had to be back on the boat at 4, and we didn't leave until 1:30 pm. So we'd have about five minutes once we got to Bimini. 

To make amends, the cruise folks plied us with unlimited free rum punches. People were still pissed. But most of us embraced it ... and by "embraced it" I mean we drank up all the rum on board. Literally. All the rum. They eventually started tossing in other random liquor ... Jager and punch, anyone?


The line waiting. 


Snapping pics of other people waiting. 

We made some friends in (after all, rum heads misery does love company). Nick and Stephanie from Fort Lauderdale, who were super sweet as was this other couple, Randy and Leighanne. 


We finally made it to the island around 2 p.m., and the free booze was really starting to kick in. Some extremely loud, "older" couples could barely stand up. Then this guy "fed the fish" all the way there (a combo of punch and choppy seas? Or perhaps just the punch).

Thankfully, I packed Dramamine and shared with Stephanie (good call, Lindz). I remember getting sea sick with Ineke on our snorkeling adventure. Won't make that mistake again.


Suffices to say, homie didn't have fun the rest of the day.

We DID have fun ... but it was like fun in hyper space. A blink and you miss it deal. For real, we had an hour and a half before we had to get back to the boat. So we opted out of visiting the resort and decided instead "got out amongst um." Now Bimini is teeny and there aren't a lot of people. And the houses are kinda broken down. But the beaches and the water. My God. So pretty. 





We stopped in for a drink and appetizers. THEN it was a rush back to the van and back to the boat. So yes, we got like 5 mins there. Still, it was a pretty awesome Saturday.

On the way back in, there was more drinking and music. Josh decided he was just drunk enough to hit the Black Jack table ... And won $400, which was super sweet. 

We got back to Miami around 8-ish and cabbed it home. This would bring us to the aforementioned fiasco. We pull up at our apartment building and get out. Josh pays the guy and completely forgets the suitcase he put in the trunk (as did I). So we go inside, eat and hit the hay. I wake up at 3 a.m. FRANTIC about the suitcase that I must have subconsciously realized was MIA while sleeping.

I get out of bed and search the apt. Nada. So the next morning J admits that it's gone and with it ... My morning clothes: my "unmentionables," my hat, shirt, (favorite) jeans, scarf and boots. As well as ALL of my makeup. Josh lost a shirt, shorts, swimsuit and flip flops. Oh and the suitcase itself which (just to make it more painful) we bought in Belgium this summer.

Bad thing is ... We didn't notice which company we used. There are about 30 cab companies in Miami and we just grabbed the first one we saw at the port.

So yeah, not much hope for recovery. I was/am devastated and pissed at us for not realizing it. I'm a little angry with the cabbie too who didn't call our attention to it. He's the one who put it in the trunk. Isn't reminding people about their luggage part of his job description?

I even called like 15 of the 30 companies trying to find it. No luck. It's probably long gone (though I made reports with every company). 

I'm guessing the $400 profit will be totally negated by the cost of replacing all the missing items. Yeah. F*@$ my life.

All that said, it was a great time ... and we'll just have to resolve to be more careful next time. Whomp.

No comments:

Post a Comment