Hi, friends. I'm back. And wow -- I've been having such an amazing time these past couple of weeks, that I've had zero time to write ... and just a slightly more to get workouts in. Let's get to it.
The evening was a blast - eating, drinking and catching up - at home then we hit the hay in preparation for the three hour journey.
We woke-up early, loaded up the car, pups then headed out. It's such a beautiful ride. Island hopping through the Keys, surrounded by crystal clear waters. I just love it.

Byron liked it too.
Keats just laid in my lap the entire way. Such a sweet girl.
We woke-up early, loaded up the car, pups then headed out. It's such a beautiful ride. Island hopping through the Keys, surrounded by crystal clear waters. I just love it.

Byron liked it too.

Keats just laid in my lap the entire way. Such a sweet girl.
When we arrived, we were given "the Captain's Suite," which is part of a bed and breakfast called Ambrosia. The primary property was across the street but there were several rooms set up in Victorian homes. Like dis one.
It was a beautiful, though I'll admit the creepy factor was fairly high. We didn't spend a ton of time there ... but I was always uneasy every time I stepped in the joint. I didn't sleep well ... which usually means a location is haunted (or at least, I've convinced myself that it is). And actually, my MOL felt the same way.
The suite had three rooms - the den which led to the bedroom then the bathroom. They slept in the bedroom while we were on the pull-out sofa. Mom swears she heard the shower curtain rustling all night (there's no AC vents in the place - there's a window unit - so it wasn't air circulating). She also heard the bathroom handle moving. Creep-yyyy.
But I digress. Once we arrived we decided to go seek out a different kind of spirit. (Not one that rattles chains ... so much as rattles your brains). And we were in the right place. We headed out to Duval St where we hit up Jack Flat's bar, shops and random street vendors who sell you everything and anything ... including photo time with their animal de jour.
SO we took this gem.
Later that afternoon, we hit up the original Margaritaville and Mallory Square for the Sunset Celebration. We had dinner at Fogarty's (delish) and headed home to play cards. Dad and I were on a team together versus J and Mom ... and we won. MUCH to Mom's chagrin. The woman hates losing. I mean HATES it.

Yay. The victors.
That capped our night and we headed to bed (which is when the ghostie aggravated mom all night. Perhaps it was the ghost of card games past?)
The next day ... we got up and out. We ate breakfast at the inn then went into town where we did some shopping and took a hop-on-hop-off tour.
And we got some super cute photos along the way. This one may be my all-time favorite of Josh and I ... so spontaneous.

Here are a few others:

Not that I eat conch fritters but I loved this sign.

This equipment was out at a cigar café ... so we took advantage.
I think it's hilarious.

Lots of chickens roaming the streets there.
We stopped at several places along the way. One of them was Mac's a BBQ joint which is where I saw the devastating news the Phillip Seymour Hoffman had died from a heroin overdose. I was SO SAD ... the rest of the day (and actually still0. I'm just SO sad about that. I really loved that guy.
That afternoon, we stopped at Sloppy Joe's (a Key West staple) and then meandered down to Irish Kevin's where this extremely entertaining guy was playing the guitar and taking shots at all the audience members. Kinda like Dick's but just him versus the patrons. He actually called out Dad ... as "Bob Barker." And he went after another guy who favored (I mean REALLY ... with the exception of not being blue) Papa Smurf.
So. effin. funny.
Anyway after a trip to check on the pups, we headed out to watch the Super Bowl (which turned out not to be so "super"). But we did drinks, dinner and watched the game (such as it was). I even ended-up owing Josh $5 for the colossal loss.
Speaking of colossal losses ... a little buzzed shopping led me to purchase the most expensive, and more importantly NON-REFUNDABLE swimsuit of my life. Oh my god. Such regret. I told Josh that I'm going to have to be buried in that bitch to recoup some of the loss. Ugh.
On to Monday ... we had originally planned to stay there three nights but I messed up and only got our place for two. Luckily, another suite was open across the street so we just picked up and moved over.
Later, we all (pups included) did some more exploring.

The white building on the right is Jimmy Buffett's recording studio ... the "worst kept secret" in Key West.
Here's our new digs ... it was a two-story with an indoor spiral staircase. Very nice.

That afternoon, we lounged by the pool and played cards, then took a walk through the neighborhood.

Love all the old homes, especially this one with a "widow's walk."
Of course, it's probably haunted too.
That night, we went out to Mangia, Mangia (Eat! Eat!) ... this outstanding Italian place. It was SO good. Tuesday morning, we packed up and headed back to the MIA but stopped in Key Largo for lunch. J's parents spent the night and we ordered in whilst watching Hunger Games. Such an amazing time.
They got up early and headed home. I took the day to get reorganized, do laundry and clean. Then it was back to the gym to squeeze in as much working out as I could before my bestie, Sarah, arrived on Friday.
As most of you know, Sarah was once my intern and now she's become a great friend ... not to mention the caretaker of our house. So yes, she's VERY important to me.
She arrived around 1 p.m. and I had her park in Coconut Grove ... so she wouldn't be charged the exorbitant valet rates at our building. I scooped her up and brought her back. We did a tour of the building and got some sun whilst catching-up on the porch. Then we walked the pups at sunset whilst getting an impromptu dolphin show down by the water.
That evening it was happy hour at Baru (where Josh met up with us) then dinner at Havana 1957.

Erick met us there and then we all (with the exception of Josh, who had to work early the next morning) went over to Brother Jimmy's for a night cap. Then Sar and I headed home.
The next morning I got up to take care of the pups. When Sarah woke-up, we headed to the pool deck for mimosas and sunshine. Lovely.
It was also here where I learned here that home girl can do an UNCANNY impression of Golem. Really. It's bizarre.

And so began a day of extreme fun ... and extreme drinking. Like college style. But it was SO fun.
We got ready (poured some wine in solo cups, you know, because we gots class) and walked down to Bayside.

We checked out some shops and then did Chili's for chips and spinach dip. Oh and margaritas.
From there, we cabbed it over to South Beach for lunch (it was only about 1:30 p.m.) and adventuring. We ate at a café on Ocean Dr and people watched. I do believe it's the best spot for people watching ever.
Then we did some shopping, hit up Wet Willie's and went to the beach.

Sarah turned me onto the Shock Treatment-Call-A-Cab mix.
Yums.



We actually took a pic in swimsuits ... but it wasn't as flattering as we had hoped.
SO we put clothes back on and tried again.
From there, it was off to explore a bit more. We randomly meet a prostitute - Paco - who borrowed my phone. We walked with her for a block or two because ... I really dunno ... it's Miami? (And the Shock Treatment/Call-A-Cab mix had kicked-in. Probably a more accurate reason).
After ditching Paco, I had to explain to her friend who KEPT calling that she was no longer with us. Awkward.
Then we stumbled upon (quite literally) a French place with great cheese. We enjoyed then cabbed it back to Brickell.
We'd planned to grill but with all the activity ... I wasn't up for it. Instead we ordered Pieducks (best pizza ever), donned PJs and watched Dumb and Dumber with Josh. Yeah ... it was a STELLAR day.
Sunday wasn't quite as stellar. The unhealthy food and alcohol caught up with (and destroyed) me. I was having major nausea but it passed by noon. Sar and I went for one final meal (sushi) and then I took her back to her car.
I was SO sad to see her go. I miss her already. : (
The rest of Sunday was about rehydrating and recuperating. Josh and I caught the Beatles tribute that night ... which was AH-MAZING.
So yes. With the exception of the damage done to my liver over the past two weekends, I've had THE best time EVER. For real. Now it's back to real life ... meh ... the gym, no drinking and healthy eating. It is, however, nice to blow it out every now and then. It makes you realize why you try to workout/diet hard on a daily basis. You have to get your body in some the kind of shape that a splurge doesn't completely wreck it. And splurge I have. It was FABULOUS.
More fabulous is ahead but we only have one item on the agenda this week ... our Valentine's day voyage to Bimini. I definitely need some fun with my hubby. And I cannot wait.



No comments:
Post a Comment