Monday, June 6, 2011

Running shoes and "local" restaurants

Hey all - Hope your week is smashing thus far!

I'm jumping back in to last weekend. * The week wasn't that exciting - Work, workout, sleep, repeat.

After work on Friday, I met my sweet Erika for "happy hour" at Coastal Kitchen and as per usual it turned into happy HOURS (free drinks were involved) with awesome conversation. I know that I'm not going to have many more of these so I just soaked it in. She's moving to Boston soon. I'm heartbroken.

But we had a blasty. And we had talked about running together Saturday morning HOWEVER I had promised the hubs that I'd go to Savannah with him (remember it's 60 miles from my house). He was playing in a golf tournament for work. SO I went with him. We left at about 6:45 a.m. and drove up. I dropped J off and tried to find somewhere that I could spend the 2 hours before the mall or Fleet Feet opened.

I decided to go to Panera Bread (never been before). I brought two books to kill time: "Tis" and "The Carb Cycle Diet" - then I realized that seemed SO ironic. A little too ironic in a bread place .... so I put that away.

Around 10 a.m. I rolled over to Fleet Feet, this awesome store in downtown S'van where everyone is a serious runner. They can put you on the treadmill and watch you run. Do you over-pronate? They will let you know.

But this time I didn't even have to go through that ... I did before and I knew what I wanted - Brooks. I figure if I get some SERIOUS running shoes, I could become a "serious" runner. Hehe!















Here they are!! Love them (or I did until I wore them and they rubbed my heel raw - BOO!)

After Fleet Feet, I shopped at the mall - not much luck (or TONS of luck considering I'm trying to save money). I found a romper - my first - at Express and a dress at Hollister ... it actually fit me and it's a small! I couldn't believe it. Both were on sale too so YAY!

I got a pedi and picked Josh up. I wanted to go down town for a good, trendy late lunch/early dinner. So we go. And you have to understand that Josh doesn't find downtown Savannah nearly as wondrous as the rest of us. He lived there for three years. It's like pulling teeth to get him to go down there. But we go. After 2 minutes at this little place called Firefly, he decided that there was nothing on the menu for him. *HAVE I MENTIONED THAT HE'S PICKY??*
We leave and he goes on this tirade about rueben (apparently that was all the only sandwich offered at Fireflys) and "local" restaurants. And how none of the cute, trendy places are actually "local." He decides to show me a "real local" place.

It's called Despidos in Thunderbolt (still Savannah but not the trendy, fun part)
Here it is:















Inside there were concrete floors and windows held together with duct tape. They covered the tables with newspapers. We both got the low country boil and a beer. And it was ah-mazing. The best I've ever had (though I don't eat the sausage).

After lunch we headed back to Brunswick, we chilled at home - J napped - and I went to the grocery store and the gym. We called it an early night but certainly had a full day Sunday! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you had never been to Panera! I worked there for a stint when we lived in NY. I was the best damn cashier you had ever seen! It was probably my cute "southern" charm ;) I also LOVE me some Express! I love that you can always find a good sale! I can't tell you the last time I've paid full price there. I have a dirty addiction to that place! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete