Hi all! Happy Monday. I hope all is right in your worlds.
As I mentioned last time, I had planned to get all sentimental and metaphysical about leaving Miami -- what I've learned in my time here, what I love, what I'll miss and what I'm glad to leave .... welp, that ain't happening this time. Apologies.
I have too much to catch up on ... AND thinking about leaving still makes me WAY too sad. So that will come. Just later.
Either whoo. Here's what I've been up to:
- Participating in my first yoga-themed Instagram challenge
- Doing yoga (and dealing with a recent injury)
- Visiting spots like the Biltmore in Coral Gables with my fella
- Hosting my bestie, Nicole, for a super fun three-day weekend
- Mulling over a new tattoo
- Hating "losing an hour" with the time change
SO let's jump into the backbend challenge for March, then I'll expound on the rest.
***Except for the last one, which is pretty self-explanatory. I hate Daylight Savings. Done. (Well I do like more light but it takes a while for my body to adjust ... pretty much until we "fall back" in autumn).***
K. The March Backbend Challenge. Here's the deal. On Instagram, TONS of yogis (of varying levels) post pictures of poses every day. Just to share with other yogis, who are all super sweet and supportive.
But every month some prominent (and extremely good) yoga teachers from all over the world get together to host (virtually) these challenges with sponsors who agree to give randomly chosen winners various prizes. Then each of the "hosts" posts pics of the posture of the day ... and different levels and modifications. Those who are participating then post their own pics and tag the hosts as well as the sponsor. Pretty cool.
Here's the one for March.
It's been so awesome. My back has needed work since I injured it (both my lower and upper back) with weight training. I can tell that I've gotten a bunch of benefits out of recent back work already. Here's some of my private practice back bendy pics ...

Then here are some from the challenge.
Yes. Love it. It lets me get all creative setting-wise. I'm SO digging it. I've also seen big strides in my scorpion pose (Vrischikasana). My toes actually touched my bun last Tuesday morning (March 4).
I was pulling SO hard with my hamstrings to bend my knees and get the feet down ...

that the next two days I noticed some pain in my right hammy. And it continued for days (even though I continued to practice). Actually it is STILL bothering me. It's not so much pain now ... just a tried kinda tightness. I'm discovering that it's pulled ... and I'm SO miserable. I can't do anything really. Depression is starting to set in now.
And when I say I can't do anything. I mean anything. Walking and sitting ... that's it. I just wanna die. SO UNHAPPY.
Meh.
Anywhoo ... other than yoga (and the recent lack thereof), I've been trying to see/experience as much of Miami as possible in the time we have left. One thing Josh and I wanted to do was visit the Biltmore Hotel built in the 1920s in Coral Gables.
So we did last weekend (March 1) It was absolutely beautiful. We walked around and had a drink on the terrace. Then had dinner in Coconut Grove at a place called LoKal, a gastro pub with fusion food and even a doggie menu. How awesome is that?

The rest of that weekend was spent chilling out and getting in some more yoga. Josh rested and watched golf. That afternoon we had a beer at Burgers and Beer. Then we did some grocery shopping and ordered in.

Yoga weekend pics.
It's also about this time that I've become semi-obsessed with getting another, yoga-themed tattoo before we leave Miami. I'd really love to get Josh's initials tattooed on my hand (ala Khloe Kardashian) ... but that never seems to go well for couples.
Instead, I'm considering this one on my left wrist. It's "breathe" in Sanskrit which is so critical to every yoga practitioner. I think it's beautiful.

I've also been looking at this one. It's Ahmisa, which means non-violence. Another really important tenant of yoga ... and, as a vegetarian, it's one that is critical to me. But it could symbolize non-violence toward other things too. Of course, people ... and also yourself.

But I don't know. I doubt Josh would be real excited about me getting a third tattoo. I'm still thinking about it though. It's my body after all.
OK so there's that. The last thing that's been up ... Nicole visited! SO exciting. We had a blasty blast (of course). Here's some pics:

*As you may have noticed, I'm opting for the collage method now ... it's easier than uploading each individually. Blogger is still giving me ALL SORTS of fits with posting pictures. So this is easiest for me.*
I digress though. I picked Nicole up in Fort Lauderdale around mid-day Thursday. We headed back to Miami, passed Josh's bridge then visited Whiskey Joe's for a beer and appetizers. The place has such a great view, even though a storm was looming.

From there, we headed home, settled in and toured our building. That evening we (surprisingly) dodged the rain and walked to the Village for happy hour and dinner. Josh joined us later. That night we stayed up until 11:30-ish chatting then hit the hay.
Josh had to work, of course. Nicole and I got up fairly early. After taking care of the pups, we hit up the pool/hot tub with mimosas then got dressed and walked down to Bayside. We had lunch by the water then took a cab over to South Beach. We walked around, hit up Wet Willie's and sat on the beach.
We cabbed it back and met up with J and some of his co-workers for drinks at the Blue Martini. Nicole and I left to go get ready but returned within an hour and a half. Then Josh, Nicole and I walked down to Havana 1957 for yummy Cuban food and headed home.
Poor Josh fell asleep on the couch I (and WOULD NOT budge) so Nicole and I slept together. Not the first time, of course, but it has been a while ... since September! Haha.
Once again, he had to work Saturday morning : (
Nicole and I got up and I took out the pups. (Important footnote: I was wearing an empire waist blue dress with my swimsuit underneath it. This matters later.)
I realized - after waiting a RIDICULOUS amount of time for the elevator to pop up - one of our elevators (we have four) was out of commission.
So every elevator that day was packed. No big. We made it work and I took out the puppers with no incident. Well until I got back on to go up. Again, PACKED. One of the people on the elevator was a well-meaning delivery boy with food, who was continuously commenting on the beauty of the day, my dogs and other loveliness.
And then ...
The delivery guy proceeds to congratulate me.
Like this:
Him: Congratulations!!
Me: What for?
Him: You're having a baby.
Me: Stunned silence.
Him: Awkward stare.
Me: No, I'm not.
From then on, this was the elevator ride straight from hell, permeated by uncomfortable quiet from the spectators, excessive, embarrassed rambling from the-meat-headed shit sack delivery man and seething hatred from yours truly. Even the dogs were ready to get the f*ck out of there.
Serious. The Tower of Terror would be preferable to this horror. At least, it's all over and done. Our misery continued as we proceeded to stop at every. mother. f*cking. floor. One by one, the spectators gratefully sprinted out as they hit their respective destinations, whilst me and Mr. Observation continued up, up, up ... until we were eventually alone.
He was constantly trying to talk about other things/explain himself. While I was constantly trying to get escape to floors that weren't mine. Just lovely.
He even tried to use the fact that he was from Georgia to explain why he broke the 11th commandment, "Thou shalt not ever assume a woman is pregnant. Ever. For any reason or dress cut unless she expressly tells your herself. And sometimes not even then." Apparently, he's from Norcross (close to Brunswick). "I just like to be polite and congratulate parents." I was like ... "I'm from Brunswick." I didn't add, "and I have f*ckin manners."
Finally. The doors open and we had arrived. The dogs and I run - no really - RUN out and away from that demonic little tormentor. Thank God.
But anyway. After I told Nicole all about my horrific elevator incident, we had brunch in the Village (had to feed the "baby," ya know. The "baby" digs mimosas) and went back to the beach to lay out and explore. We walked down to cruise the hotties at the Gay Beach (and considering we slept together the previous night, we kinda fit in ... haha). Then walked to Washington for a glass of wine and a cheese plate at a Latin fusion restaurant called Boliva.
From there, we headed back to Brickell. We hit up the grocery store for grilling supplies and then spent the evening on the pool deck (in the hot tub), chatting and listening to music. We had burgers, veggies and baked fries whilst watching Dexter.
Such a great night.
Of course, it was also the "spring forward" night ... and we had to get Nicole to Fort Lauderdale's airport by 6 a.m. Eeek!
We hit the hay early and were up SUPER early for the trek (which goes quickly at 6 a.m. on a Sunday). We got her there and she beat it back to Alabama. The rest of Sunday was just laundry, hanging out and hot tub time for my leg and ordering in.
So yes. OUTSTANDING weekend with one of my all-time favs. I swear, I'm such a lucky girl!


No comments:
Post a Comment