I'm just now emerging from my self-induced food coma. It's Tuesday.
Good Lord.
So yes, onward and upward (upward on the scales fo sho). But first, let's back up to last week. The week of le Thanksgiving. So my parents (J's have to work every year - sad) rolled in Wednesday afternoon. We hung out, had a cocktail or rather cocktails (which became the theme of the long weekend) and headed over to dinner at Crab Daddy's on St. Simons Island. Our favorite restaurant - it never disappoints. We. were. stuffed.
Then it was home to prep for the big day ... ya know MORE food on Thursday. So we wake up and I start to cook. Creamed corn, peas, dressing, potatoes in the blessed Josh-made gravy that he spent 30 minutes on and later inadvertently diluted with water, collards, turkey, broc casserole (my jam) rolls, pecan pie, chocolate pie. I think that's it. Geez, it should be IT.
I pop the first bottle of wine mid-way through the Macy's parade and let it aerate. Then we sample. Then pour a glass ... whatever - it's a holiday.
Next thing you knew, it was lunch time. I was literally sweating from all of the kitchen heat (perhaps I burned a few calories before the massive gluttony). I set the table and it was almost exactly like this.
My reaction at seeing my "work" ...
Then ate some more.
Nom, nom. Nom nom.
Nom.
Then we were able to Skype with my two favs (our Belgians) Ineke and Tijl. Seriously so grateful for having them as friends. I wanted my folks to "meet" them but they had to make a store run for me (getting bread before it closed for sandwiches later - which I am sure we really needed but ... ya know!). My dad did catch the tail end of the convo. and was able to deduce two things - A) they have beautiful accents and B) they must think we're hicks. I was like whatev ... they don't know what "hicks" are, as we are their only (to my knowledge) American friends. AND they enjoy our Southern drawl ... RIGHT INEKE??? LOL. I hope so.
SO from there. It was music on the porch and the annual Blair-Adkison Spades extravaganza. Plus cigars from the Dominican (which we brought back for my dad then stole).
I have NO idea how to smoke a cigar. I just hold it in my mouth. I look like quite the gangster, yes?
My dad, however, enjoys cigars. Quite the pro. And can smoke them for realz.
As does my hubby.
Ballas.
So back to cards, my mom and I were on a team and decided to give the boys a healthy win ... you know, so their masculinity wouldn't be threatened. : ) It's just the sweet kind of women that we are.
After the game(s), we ate left overs and watched our favorite "holiday" movie, "The Big Lebowski" and turned in before 8 p.m. - Done.zo.
Friday was a more eventful day. We hung out at home watching - my fav. - "Kung Fu Panda" and "Shrek Ever After" (I think. I've never seen it before - CUTE). My folks also spent bonding time with their "grandkids."
Then we all went to lunch at local hot spot Tipsy McSways. Then opted to walk off a few calories (while simultaneously putting them right back on by visiting the bar first) at the Jekyll Island Historic District. Ya know - the place where Josh and I were married. We toddled, stopped at the wharf and looked at our wedding site, as well as all of the homes (cottages they are called) once owned by JP Morgen, the Cranes and Vanderbilts. I LOVE this place.
Josh and I -- dipping on the lawn of the gorgeous hotel, which you can't see here.
Under the tree where we were married.
My mom and I under the oldest oak tree on the island ... more than 300 years old.
Josh at the raw bar. We had our pre-rehearsal dinner lunch there.
My fam. Please know, my dad doesn't always make such a ridiculous face. In fact, he rarely smiles - so he went all out here.
This is typical Steve Blair ... I tease him and say that he looks like a "mole man" in photos.
Typical mole
Your call.
You see it now, don't you?
Anyway on Friday night, we went to our local fav - Zachry's. We ate and listened to the music. Oh and there were some libations too.
OK more than some. A lot. It WAS "the holidays" after all. We WERE home before 10 p.m. and went to bed. Go hard and go home, yes? YES!
Saturday ... I no feel so good. I had (as Ineke knows ... an ICEPICK in my head) -- Oh my gah. My parents, however, were no worse for the wear. They were up and out by 9 a.m. (to my credit I was UP at 7 a.m. but I didn't get "out" all day). They had to get back to see the Bama game. I would call it the Iron Bowl AU-AL game. But no, this was the BAMA game. 49-0. But at least our season is over now. So done with football.
Sunday I woke up feeling better but still. We cleaned, shopped, Josh golfed and helped me deck our halls whilst watching "When Harry Met Sally."
EVEN SO after all the happy drinking ... my motor skills were still touch and go --- a bit like this ...
Painful.
Almost as painful as going back to work after a brief vaca. Oh but not as painful as an ingrown toenail, which is what I have now. Merry frigging Christmas.
Sorry - I PROMISE the next post will be more upbeat. We really did have an amazing time! I'm so lucky to have a family (and friends) that's so funny and cool. I LOVE THEM DEARLY.






No comments:
Post a Comment