Friday, November 9, 2012

Halloween, Rockin and Rollin and Sarah's farewell

What's up, all? I hope you have had great weeks. Well, two weeks actually. It's a been a while. I've gone and gotten slack again. Or maybe not. Maybe I've been busy ... just not blogging. 

Either way, let's just jump right in. After returning from vaca, we took a couple of days to get things back in order at home ... then dragged ourselves back to our respective offices, and once again, became productive members of society. 

One of the highlights (and breaks from the aforementioned production) Halloween, which was that following Wednesday, obviously Oct. 31. Halloween has long been one of my favorite occasions. I've always LOVED dressing up as a kid ... and as an adult I still love it. Sadly, I'm married to a man who feels about Halloween much the way the Grinch felt about Christmas. He's not a fan. 

Never one to be dissuaded, I still dress up to hand out candy. This year I managed to put together a fairly simple costume – a pirate, which I could do with things I had ... well with the exception of the eye patch and du rag. I don't have those laying around. 

The result ...



Well ... the sword was new too. I'm a 29-year-old woman with no kids ... I don't have swords laying around.  

We bought a ton of candy ... nearly $30 worth - and it was gone in 45 minutes. Josh says it's because I'm too generous. I say it's because there are too many kids being bussed into our neighborhood. We seriously get hundreds of kids. 

Either way, we shut down candy distribution and walked next door to our neighbors' house - Carrie and Bobby - who were having a get together. They are super cool and I cannot believe we hadn't chilled sooner. It was a great time (and yes, jello shots were involved) and we were back home around 9-ish then called it a night.

Thursday after work, Ashley and I had to bust a move, drive to Savannah to pick up our race packets for the half marathon Saturday. Now, I'm usually prepared for races. But, between our respective vacas, I was not ready for this one ... at all. And I was a little nervous. It was "just a half" and I've ran more than 13 miles dozens of times - but still. I was nervous. 

At work Friday, it was time for us to bid farewell to my trusty intern, Sarah. She's been with me writing Life stories and taking care of community briefs for the last year. A little longer than that I guess. We've gotten extremely close. Now I look at her like a little sister. It was hard letting go ... of course, she's JUST in Savannah. It's not like she's far away but she's not on the other side of my desk and that makes me very sad. We took her to lunch and I got her some goodies. Then made plans to meet up with her after the race Saturday ... that kept me from loosing my shit when she packed up. 

I went to bed EARLY Friday (like 8 p.m.) and we rolled out of Brunswick at precisely 4:50 a.m. Saturday morning. Got to the race site and started running around 8 a.m.  

Honestly, everything did go well. It wasn't that bad. But it wasn't as easy as it's been in the past. The running wasn't the worst part, although my knees randomly started hurting half way through (that NEVER happens, my knees have actually fared well through this whole running fiasco) but they were REALLY bothering me. Once we finished (about 2:15), shit got real. My legs were super stiff ... which gave way to super soreness that lasted ALL WEEK ... which reminded me, daily, that I was ill prepared for this little venture. 


And I was happy. I don't know what's up with me and the thumbs up of late. 

Josh drove up and met me. Ashley had to drive back to Brunswick right away so he got me, we hung out and listened to the band play ... along with lots of other people.


Then we headed over to find a hidden Wendy's where I could conveniently use the restroom to "clean up" as much as possible and change. From there, we went to meet Sarah at my favorite hidden local spot, Sol. She turned me on to the restaurant last year. Ash, Julio, Josh and I ate there before we ran the full marathon last year. It's yummy. So we met up ... chatted ... had fun.


Then Josh and I drove back to Brunswick. I showered then took a nice, relaxing nap with the puppies. That night, we went downtown to Tipsy's for dinner and to watch the Alabama/LSU football game. We had some well-deserved cocktails (or at least mine were well-deserved) with our friends, Anna and Mike. And then it was bed time. I was exhausted.

Sunday. I. was. sore. More sore than I should have been. Punishment for all of the mojitos and careless days floating in the Caribbean? Probably. But I'd do it all over again. Still, it was business as usual. I cleaned, cooked for the week, caught up on "Celebrity Ghost Stories" (that show is my jam) and took Byron to the groomers. Josh cut Keats' hair. And they got pretty intense haircuts.



Adorable. They are still dealing with some itching from fleas though. And that's annoying. We've done everything short of a bomb to get rid of them. I really don't want to have to do that. Anyway, that's the highlight of recent activities. This weekend ... I'm going to work by covering a Literary Festival on Jekyll Island. The U.S. Poet Laureate Natasha Tretheway will be there ... pretty. damn. cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment