Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thanksgiving

Disclaimer ... this is a holiday post, which means I'm allowed gratuitous use of the f-word. Don't say you weren't warned. 
But first. It's been cold here. Like highs in the 50s. SO this has been me of late ...


Iz freezin. 

Other than weather there's been unrest --- and if you live in the USA, which most of you do -- you know this. At first, it was just a bunch of Republicans whining because they didn't get their way. And I was all like ... dude,


Now there's 19 states signing petitions to secede. Really? REALLY? Come on, people. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Nov. 5 ... they're all about "'Merica" come Nov. 7 they want out? Are you serious? How can you even say that?

You're trying to get your state to leave the union because the same guy who was running it for the last four years is going to continue to run it?

I was upset, at first ... now the more I think about it I'm like


Let's let um go. Who needs Texas anyway? Or Florida for that matter?


Just don't come crying to us when you guys are wiped out by a hurricane and want federal money. And that's exactly what would happen. Conservatives are all about "less government" until its something that they don't like (gay marriage?) and then the government should definitely get involved. Like when they are financially struggling or have been hammered by a natural disaster, then they want help. But nope, you guys are cut off. Sorry I'm not sorry.

OK that was my post-election rant ... back to regular programing. Thanksgiving is on the horizon. For us, that means my parents roll into town Wednesday and we spend the next couple of days celebrating. You know ... marking how our ancestors played nice with the Native Americans for about five minutes (about enough time to sit down for dinner) ...  right before they figured a way to systematically annihilate them and take their land. Or mate with them and take their land. Either way. This land is ours, bitches, nevermind that you've been here for 4,000 years. Lovely heritage.

Actually, I've been told I have Cherokee in me along with my Scottish-ness. My third great-grandfather was supposed to be full-blooded, but I haven't found any evidence to that on Geneology.com. Although, my mother, her father and her grandmother certainly have some Native American features.

But back to the celebration. We mark the occasion by getting down with wayyyy too much food and, of course -


We'll also have the annual Blair-Adkison Spades showdown - ALWAYS a good time. As per usual, I'm cooking. I've planned several country favs along with some new recipes this year. 

Here's the menu:
• Turkey (Taking the easy route and buying this done this year. I've cooked it before but removing the "innards" freaks me out and Josh has to do it).
• Black eyed peas (or field peas if I can get my parents to bring them from Josh's folks ... they've got all the fresh veggies!)
• Josh's precious cream corn smuggled in from Alabama 
• Stuffing, also smuggled 
Bourbon sweet potatoes - this is new - fingers crossed
• Garlic cheese biscuits and perhaps fried cornbread (it's delicious but makes the house stink)
• My great-grandmother's chocolate pie 

All that food is going to make it very hard to move. And my next race is in February. We have to get our shit together and start training. Otherwise, this will be me and Ash.


Alright. That's all for me. 

Happy Thanksgiving! ; ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment