Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Belgian invasion

Hi all. I hope all is fly in your respective hoods.

Quick catch-up. I was pretty worthless after Mike and Anna's visit. But I got back into the swing this week and have made all most of my workouts.

I've been really making strides in yoga and have been working on a couple of new poses.

 
This one is called visamitrasana or flying warrior. It's not right. My back foot is too far back. This is how most people do it but I just can't get there. My left grounded foot keeps sliding so this is easier for me. I actually got a complement from this contortionist guy on Instagram, which made me feel awesome.  
 
The other one is grasshopper or hummingbird or dragonfly - so many names - which has been a challenge.
 
I love the way it looks though. It's almost alarming at first. Your brain is like "what the hell is that?" 
But then you realize it's OK (no one is being tortured) and it's beautiful.   
 
 
It really isn't that complicated though (I hate it when yoga people say that because it always is). It's an intense twist, an even more intense hip opener and an arm balance. But - once your body figures out what it's suppose to do - it's cake. Of course, sometimes it takes a longgggg time to do that.
 
Like in this posture, you absolutely HAVE to be able to get your bent leg (my left here) into your armpit (mine needs to be farther up) in order to create that shelf for your right leg to balance on. If you're interested, here's a video of some chick getting into the posture. There are several ways to do it (I do it from a seated position) but any of them will work.  

The final pose I've been doing is the easiest by far. It's flying monkey pose. Like with all the others, once you find the proper place for your elbows, you're golden.


I need to get my right leg up higher on my arm, closer to my shoulder ... but it's fine.

So practicing these postures has been fun. And incredibly helpful in maintaining my sanity, because as the title implies, the Belgian's visit is NEXT WEEK ... I'm in full-on planning mode, highly anticipating the arrival of our European besties ... which is just one week from today. Oh my gah. You can imagine (if you know me) how my OCD is raging right now. I'm making lists left and right. I feel like this.


I couldn't live without lists.

And right now I have five pages worth - ranging from schedules to grocery items to simple "to do before they arrive" lists. I'll spare you all of that.

Suffices to say, it's detailed. But it's because I'm SUPER excited ... and yes, I also feel a immense amount of pressure ... this is their first trip to America, their firsthand impression of our country. I do not want it to suck. Ineke has been assuring me that they are gonna love it. I hope she's right. I just still don't feel like America can hold a candle to Europe, it's buildings, history, etc. But it's different and that's the entire reason behind world travel ... to experience something new. And experience we shall.

Here's the abbreviated plan:
Thursday - Arrival and Brickell- 2:30 p.m. - Pick up the Belgians - 2 p.m. arrive at airport
- Come home, get settled
- Walk to Mary Brickell Village
- Baru Urbano for Happy Hour
- Dinner at El Vato Taco and Tequila Bar
- Home to chill and watch shows/movies or swimming
Friday - Bayside- Breakfast (casserole)
- Walk downtown for coffee
- Bayside
- Lunch at Hooters
- Grill out and swim
- To bed early to wake up early
Saturday - Snorkeling and Sports Bar- Up at 5:45 a.m.
- Head out by 6 a.m.
- Dunkin Donuts and mimosas
- Snorkeling at 9 a.m.
- Afterward stop at Duffy’s Sports Bar for games and food
- Cook chicken and dumplings or order food
Sunday - NFL football- Breakfast at IHOP
- Go to Miami Dolphins vs. Carolina Panthers game
- Eat a bite at the stadium
- Stop at Outback on the way home
Monday - Shopping Day- Head to Sunrise (Total Wine, Wal-Mart) and Adventura
- Chili’s for lunch
- Dave and Busters for a few games and a drink
- Take trolley to Midtown for dinner at Five Guys
- Target
- Drinks at Louie’s
Tuesday - South Beach - Walk to Bayside
- Get (arrange) water taxi
- Beach, Wet Willie’s, Lincoln Road
- Bite at Yardbird Southern
- Taxi home
- Drinks on the patio
Wednesday - Alligator Farm - LaMoon at 11 a.m.
- Alligator farm at noon
- Snake show at 1 p.m.
- Gator show at 2 p.m.
- Airboat tour after
- Cheesecake Factory
- Home to chill
Thursday - Thanksgiving - Thanksgiving fun
- Cooking and eating
- Macy's Parade
- Watching movies
Friday - Black Friday and Seaquarium - Black Friday
- Breakfast sandwiches and off to shop
- Over to the Seaquarium
- Dinner at Casablanca’s
Saturday - Belgians leaving -- :(

I really think it'll be OK. We always have fun when we're together so I'm not that worried. I'm more excited than anything else. I hope next Thursday gets here quick or else I'll spontaneously combust.

No comments:

Post a Comment