I HAD to pull the chair out from under him. I guess I'd seen it in a cartoon somewhere and I. just. had. to. do. it. So I did. And, to my surprise, it actually worked.
At the last minute, right before butt hit plastic (you remember those little plastic chairs they had when you were a kid) I yanked the chair from under him and his rear end (or "biscuit" as it was called in those days) came crashing to the ground. I was thrilled and really kind of horrified that it worked. (I was a good student and never acted out ... so this little fiasco was really out of character for me.)
The entire room stopped and looked at us but Nathan - being a devoted first grade boyfriend - didn't rat me out. Instead, he told the teacher that he just misjudged the butt-to-chair distance. But he knew what I had done. Nathan was a sweet guy and we're actually still friends today.
Honestly though, I don't regret it. Even 23 years later, I STILL find it hilarious. It has literally given me laughs for year. I mean - pulling chairs out from under people is funny. It's a harmless, albeit immature, prank. Their shocked and probably totally embarrassed - but not hurt.
Having the chair pulled out from under you as an adult is not quite the same. You're bigger and you hit much harder. That's true metaphorically speaking as well. When you're young, you bounce back much faster whether it's an injury or mental, emotional or physical shock. It takes much longer to recover when you're an adult.
Turns out, having the chair even pulled out from underneath you in "adult land" actually does hurt and can leave quite a mark. I should know - it happened to me last Thursday.
So this little prelude brings me to the point of the blog post - we're moving to Miami for a year.
Crazy as shit right? Yes. It. Is.
Backing up - Josh called me a week ago (well a week ago Thursday) and said, "I've got good news and bad news." Good news first, please. "I got a 20 percent raise." Sweet, and the bad news? "I have to go to Miami ... for a year."
This is what Josh will be working on ... the Bear Cut Bridge. As I understand it (and I could be totally wrong) they are building a bridge beside it and tearing the current one down.
My reaction ...
Serious freak out moment. Crying, screaming, gnashing of teeth.
But we managed to get it together, talked through it and came to a conclusion - we're going ...
Yeah yeah. Insert cheesy music here. But that's the only way that I will be happy. A year is too long to be weekend spouses.
But now that this one problem has been solved ... enter a slew of other problems/issues/decisions.
And the fun begins. Apartment hunting from 300 miles away whilst trying virtually navigate this enormous city without actually ever set foot there.
Miami is a cool but there are SO many places to live and you certainly want to make sure you choose a good spot - Coral Gables, Brickell - if you are staying in Miami. Then there's areas outside the city in Lauderhill or Hollywood.
With choosing a home, there's always a lot of factors. But for us, the biggest thins is the dogs. I don't know how they will deal in a high rise (Byron has never lived in an apartment and he's extremely yappy). Plus getting them up and down for potty breaks will be a nightmare.
THEN I have to try to find a job and we have to decide on what to do with our house. We know we want to keep it so we can return after the year is up ...
I'm freaking frazzled.
It. all. hurts. my. brain.
But even so, I'm excited. I'm excited that Josh has this opportunity - it will be great for him. And it will be an interesting place to live. Once we get there and get settled, I know it will be fab but until that day ...
So yeah. I guess 23 years later I'm finally getting the karmic retribution for the chair incident.
And it certainly smarts.






No comments:
Post a Comment