Sunday, April 29, 2012

Random updates and literary blitzkrieg

Hey all - I hope everyone is having a good week. Mine has been less than stellar. Much less.

But before I delve into that depressing nonsense, let me take you back to the previous weekend, which was super, actually.

On Friday (we're talking April 20 here), I joined my friends Anna and Michael for happy hour after work at our new, go-to spot Tipsy McSway's in Brunswick. It's such a fun place with a great atmosphere. We spent a couple of hours sitting outside for the latter part of a warm afternoon and chatting with several people there ... one interesting IT fellow had a proficiency for tie clasps. Who knew those were still a topic of conversation - or that they ever were come to think of it. Incidentally, he told us that his father was a drug dealer for Lynard Skynard in the 70s. Interesting. That set the pace for the weekend. I grabbed some take out and headed home.

We were up early Saturday, heading down to St. Augustine, Fla. Josh was meeting his friend, Tony, there to play golf at the World Golf Village. It was a pretty swank place ($125 per round kind of swank). Of course there was a 75 percent chance of rain and I suspected that the game wouldn't last long. I went and got a mani/pedi then headed to the outlets.


Here are a few shots of the World Golf Village. To the right is the golf-themed museum (I didn't go in) and Caddy Shack a restaurant owned by Bill Murrary.

This is the particular place they played.
It was a course called Slammer and Squire.

Whilst I was shopping, the bottom fell out. Ha - not on me but on Josh and Tony at the course. Hilarious. They were able to finish playing.

I got way too many clothes (if there is such a thing). But they were all very reasonable. After they were finished, Josh and I went to dinner at this amazing place called LuLus. It was on the river (not sure which river) and looked like a "hole in the wall." Naturally, it was spectacular. I had the blackened swordfish with a jalapeno sauce.  

Oh my. We headed back to Brunswick and chilled at the casa. Sunday was another chill day. We did the standard Sunday activities - grocery shopping and cooking for the week.

Reading has also been a big (huge, rather) part of my life of late. In fact, that's why this blog post is entitled, in part - "literary blitzkrieg." Since April 1 (I remember the day because I took the day off), I went to the beach. It started with "The Hunger Games" - I was skeptical, it being so popular and all. I don't have much faith in the literary tastes of the masses.
Fast forward to April 15 - I have read ALL three books. Outstanding. I'm such a fan. While, structure-wise it might not be the best written story I've ever read ... I was unable to put it down. Clearly.

Once I was finished with that, I was reeling from the loss of a good book. And then I picked up "50 Shades of Grey."  Holy cow.

It's not yet May and I've finished the first book and I am more than half way through the second. Oh yes. I've also gotten into a new TV show -- but that is a post is for another time. Suffices to say, life is good. Er was until I went to the podiatrist (first time ever) last Wednesday. I'm not a fan.

It started Tuesday night (April 24). I ran the bridge as per usual but when I was done I noticed a pain in my big toe. No big, right? Wrong. Turns out it was an ingrown toenail. The doctor sits down (after I waited in the room for more than an hour) says "you have an ingrown toenail" and pulls a syringe out of his pocket. Whoa, whoa. Slow your roll, bud. I make him stop and explain exactly what was going to happen. What happened was about six shots in my toe followed quickly with me having a vasovegal (an event where some kind of "trauma" causes a fainting) reaction and passing out. Sort of, anyway. I was sitting so I couldn't really pass out. Everything got very hazy then the nurse comes in and freaks out. She said I was "ghostly pale" and made me lay down. The doc comes back and does the procedure which I don't remember because I was too focused on trying to figure out who/where I was. It was insane - just like in a cartoon where you see a character who sees a needle (or something similar), turns white and passes out. Just. like. that. I text Josh to come get me because I was so out of it.

He took me home and I relaxed. It was an overwhelming day, one I was ill prepared for. Oy. The next few days were filled with toe ache and pain pills. No working out and me being grouchy in general. We did have a fair weekend. I'll expound on that later.

For those who are concerned, my toe is feeling better. :  )

No comments:

Post a Comment